Here is my Newest one. :D

Attachments

• DSC_2272.jpg
    DSC_2272.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 406
  • DSC_2274.50.jpg
    DSC_2274.50.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 565
I took the XS out in public the last Saturday to a Kawasaki Demo Day and show and shine, got a lot great compliments on the bike, however it seems the odds were against me, kind of a Kawasaski biased crowd.... oh well, I am hoping to have better luck at the Manitoba Vitage Motorcycle Rally in July. (I changed out the slighlty bent head light ear yesterday and it's looking pretty good now)

SDC10751.jpg

SDC10752.jpg

The old ear,
SDC10755.jpg

The new ear installed.... thanks to Allegro40 from Alberta, for the part (did the fork oil as well, 32 years old and still clean)
SDC10756.jpg

here is my xs so far, i have a mock up motor in right now while i am rebuilding mine, :Dhopefully i can get this beast done in the next month or two! :bike:

[/IMG]

Attachments

• DSCN1171.jpg
    DSCN1171.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 2
I think you should clear coat the tank just as it is. Sweet flame jobs are awesome! (Seriously though, brother; keep at it!)

Backroader your Special looks great. A Special was the first XS I remember. A buddy bought one new in 78. I like all of them.

I have four XSes: 1981 SH, 1980 SG, 1978 E, and 1977 D. Currently, the only one road worthy is my '81. Bone stock, except for the Mac 2-1 and the Daytona-style bars. Couldn't stand those buckhorns.

xs650rside1.jpg

Backroader, that makes me want to restore one of mine to pure stock, it looks really nice.......

I ride a Kaw every day and have several xs650's. You can like both. :D

John

Here's my '79 Special, it's stock except for the VR, swingarm bolt, handlebars, Saddleman seat cover, and the saddlebags.

DSCI2017.jpg

DSCI2014.jpg

DSCI2021.jpg

Here it is without the bags.

DSCI0963.jpg

They're HD Brown, but I don't know if they still make them. I bought 'em back in 1998. :laugh:

This is my daily rider. 1978 Yamaha XS 650. I built it 13 years ago after I had a heart attack. Has 750 kit, Webcam #1 grind, Dyna coil ,36 MM Mikunis , Shell intakes ,timing retarded per Michael"Mercury"Morse instructions. Heavy valve springs,alloy retainers , Jemco pipes with anti reversion inserts and torque inserts welded in just ahead of the megaphones. The motor is a 1980 with a 1978 seven plate clutch. The original 1978 motor with the 750 kit ,shit the inside right crankshaft bearing. I'm also running Michael's oils filter kit. Has Omar's glass and running a RD400 rear wheel modified with spacers to work on the 650.

Click on http://owners.650wiki.org/List members bikes/wally_wronka/wally_wronka.htm to see the pictures. Bob Bertuat did the new pistons for me. The bike had a 750 kit on it when I bought it from the PO. Bike was rough as hell and rusty when I bought it for $250. I can still start it at 66 years old so I plan to ride it until I can't. Than well get someone to start it for me so I can keep riding:)

Not bad man, I just can't see my nearly 300 lb self sitting on a seat like that.

How much work is it to do all the frame chopping and such?

Not bad man, I just can't see my nearly 300 lb self sitting on a seat like that.

How much work is it to do all the frame chopping and such?

First, Thanks. Spent plenty of time doing, undoing, redoing and learning b/c I redid it wrong again... lol

I'm 6' 240.... Well do you have any welding experience? I do, but I also don't have a legitimate welder to do something like this so I had help on the hardtail welds. All I have here at my house is a 110 welder. However the chopping is simple enough.

I think the one thing I would say to anyone before doing it though is to PLAN, PLAN, PLAN. The one thing I overlooked doing is drilling holes before hand to run wires through the frame. Hindsight is 20/20 though right?

Back