Not a XS, but here's my kz440.

0216111354.jpg

0216111400.jpg

0216111401.jpg

0216111355.jpg

Might as well cast my 2 cents into the pile. My '75 XS...when I bought this bike it was four years old with just over 3500 miles on it...just like new. I have used it as a test bed for just about every customizing idea I ever had (hence the title 'Phoenix 8')...it has been chopped with a rigid frame and 10"over tubes, then girder forks, then back to bobber style. Eventually, after a bad accident I decided that so many people thought it was a Triumph when it was chopped that I would try to make it look a little more like one. In hindsight if I had known I would have the bike this long (32 years and counting) I would have left it stock.
yamaha6505.jpg

Might as well cast my 2 cents into the pile. My '75 XS...when I bought this bike it was four years old with just over 3500 miles on it...just like new. I have used it as a test bed for just about every customizing idea I ever had (hence the title 'Phoenix 8')...it has been chopped with a rigid frame and 10"over tubes, then girder forks, then back to bobber style. Eventually, after a bad accident I decided that so many people thought it was a Triumph when it was chopped that I would try to make it look a little more like one. In hindsight if I had known I would have the bike this long (32 years and counting) I would have left it stock.
yamaha6505.jpg

I love reading stories about bikes that guys have kept for a long time, especially when they've made it work the way they want it to over the years.

Here's mine, partially through a mild cafe re-style. It is a 79 "Special". I have a "Standard" tank for it, and planning on custom rear sets, some lighting changes and a few other mods. I ride it to work every day.

DLD1

Attachments

• XS_2-2011f.jpg
    XS_2-2011f.jpg
    305.8 KB · Views: 172
  • XS_2-2011g.jpg
    XS_2-2011g.jpg
    306.8 KB · Views: 164
heres me rolla gettin ready for a motor to get dropped in. working on my attempt at making a custom seat but i might go seatpan/shock or spring setup...dunno.

Attachments

• Beast-New front end.jpg
    Beast-New front end.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 197
heres me rolla gettin ready for a motor to get dropped in. working on my attempt at making a custom seat but i might go seatpan/shock or spring setup...dunno.

Wow... That is low... If you try to drive this bike in my country you will see a lot of sparks on your mirror...

Very nice men... Look awesome...

wont be that low...the trees are loose because ive got to put new bearings in it. ive got em but im waiting to put the motor in first. its gonna be about 4 inches frame height.

The current state of my bike.

I just need to finish wiring, hook up the rear brake, spray the tank and work on some pipes for it.

a6812cd5.jpg

Hey everyone, been lurking for a while, but just joined. I have been in the xs650 garage for a few years though..
I have a few xs650s
0720001906a.jpg

1980 Special. My first, its had black skins, but the tank got dented and found it easier just to replace than to fix and paint. This bike has also had some accessories on it, but it's stock now.
Red_Rocket2.jpg

1979 Special Bobber. That's all powder coat (metallic red and silver), duel front brakes, 750 kit, Mikuni 36s round sides, Pamco ignition, custom wiring with LEDs all around, plus a bunch of other tricks. My gf nick named her The Red Rocket, she's scary fast.
0515001321.jpg

1978 Standard. Just finished this restore last spring. All the black parts are powder coated, spent almost twice on the paint job, then I did for the bike. Mostly stock except the euro bars, some electronics and usual upgrades in the suspension.
Image044.jpg

1972, doesn't look like from the picture, but she was too far gone for a restore. This one is in pieces across my garage and basement. I'm in the process of making her an old school rat chopper. Going all the way on this build, long gider forks, easy rider captain America style exhaust, suicide shift, battery-less... Kind of bike you need a neck tattoo and a criminal record to ride... haha

Grepper, love your bikes! I think it's way cool that you keep your really nice stock bikes AND make customs, too.
:) Question on the powdercoated bobber: are the pipes powdercoated, as well?
Am getting ready to have mine done.
anyway... my compliments on a sweet array.

Thanks, My schedule seems to be every two years, restore, custom, restore, custom. My kids keep asking me to sell them. My daughter wants me to buy her a horse.. Gezzz. I tell her that if one of my bikes get sick and I don't have the cash to fix it, I can just park it. If a horse gets sick we are eating only roman noodles for three month and we are duck taping your shoes back together.
Those are Gorden Scott chopper mile pipes on the bobber... You caught me, those have high temp paint. I thaught about getting them ceramic coated, right now I have them wrapped. For anyone getting those high pipes, I'd suggest wrapping them or getting a heat shield. I melted the top of my boots on them, burned my ankle wearing regular shoes.
Right now I'm fixing up my girlfriend's Honda cb650, after working on that bike I'd really like to restore an early cb750. I'd like to do a Cafe bike sometime or even try my hand a two-stoke Suzuki GT550.

Back