Here's my beat up 72 XS2.

Attachments

• xs 233.jpg
    xs 233.jpg
    334 KB · Views: 214
2nd try to post here. This is my latest project, in the last stages finally. Stripped the entire bike down to the frame, took everything that was painted down to metal and repainted it. Chrome was a bit worn out, but steel wool works wonders for the most part on chrome. All rubber has been replaced except the battery sleeve and the rubber connector between the air-boxes. Apparently MikesXS is out of stock on those, so I'll wait for them to come back in.

Original problem was a burnt clip on the old rectifier....problem is I've replaced the rectifier on this bike about 3 times in the last 10 years. I found the excellent post from Pamcopete about the chrysler regulator and radio shack rectifier. All the parts were in stock at the appropriate stores, so that fix is installed and the meter is showing good voltage throughout the bike and at the battery.

Only major problem I have at this point is once I got everything back together and started it up, I'm down to one cylinder. Ran a few tests and my left coil appears to be fried (unless I'm looking to cook on it). Heading to Denver on Thursday to see if I can find one at the motorcycle graveyard (XS650 parts are getting hard to find even in the boneyard).

Attachments

• 100_2573.jpg
    100_2573.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 158
New to the forum, been looking for a cheap XS off and on for two or three years now. I've wanted to do a tracker or cafe project, but the planets haven't aligned - until now. A good friend recently bought a bike and reminded me of a promise we had made each other many years ago to ride the west coast. So I jumped on Kijiji, and lo and behold, I found an ad for a '77 XS in a town about an hour from my little town. It was clearly in pretty tough shape, but did run. The seller was asking $400 - just what I had been looking for! I called the guy and it was still available. As you may know, XS's disappear really quickly. Unfortunately, I'm 1200 km away from home right now. So I called my wife and asked her to hook up the trailer, go into town and buy the bike for me. She called me a couple of hours later, bike on the trailer! And she'd talked the seller down to $350! WAAHOOO!!!!

So here's my project, waiting patiently for me to get home next week. From the pix it looks like I may have a bit of rust removal to do...

I've ordered new fork seals, a new clutch cable, some led signal lights, an led taillight, new grips, and a set of clamp-on aftermarket headlight mounts. I'm going to try to pull this off as cheaply as I can. As the project proceeds I'll start a new build thread to document the fun!

leftside02.jpg

rightside01.jpg

front01.jpg

cockpit01.jpg

engineleft01.jpg

New to the site. My neighbor was moving & didnt want to lug his old bike to the new house. He gave it to me for free!!! I dont know much about it, not even sure if it runs.1980-81? Odo says 6547, has been sitting collecting dust for a while. Not sure where to start? Any ideas?
DSCI0054.jpg

DSCI0055.jpg

DSCI0053.jpg

Go into the Tech menu and have a good read, start Here

New to the forum, been looking for a cheap XS off and on for two or three years now. I've wanted to do a tracker or cafe project, but the planets haven't aligned - until now. A good friend recently bought a bike and reminded me of a promise we had made each other many years ago to ride the west coast. So I jumped on Kijiji, and lo and behold, I found an ad for a '77 XS in a town about an hour from my little town. It was clearly in pretty tough shape, but did run. The seller was asking $400 - just what I had been looking for! I called the guy and it was still available. As you may know, XS's disappear really quickly. Unfortunately, I'm 1200 km away from home right now. So I called my wife and asked her to hook up the trailer, go into town and buy the bike for me. She called me a couple of hours later, bike on the trailer! And she'd talked the seller down to $350! WAAHOOO!!!!

So here's my project, waiting patiently for me to get home next week. From the pix it looks like I may have a bit of rust removal to do...

I've ordered new fork seals, a new clutch cable, some led signal lights, an led taillight, new grips, and a set of clamp-on aftermarket headlight mounts. I'm going to try to pull this off as cheaply as I can. As the project proceeds I'll start a new build thread to document the fun!

leftside02.jpg

rightside01.jpg

front01.jpg

cockpit01.jpg

engineleft01.jpg

Good score, This is a 76C They are the last of the 34mm forks. The XS650 models are from August to July so a 76 will span the 76-77 years, a 77D will span 77-78 years. The 77D's and later have 35mm forks. Lots of traps when ordering parts if you arn't up to scratch on your models

Looks like there may have been a few parts swaps over the years, good find though, Canadian?

Yup! Southern Alberta, about 30 minutes north of Glacier National Park in Montana.

I'm anxious to get my hands on the bike. I work in the oil sands in northern Alberta and only get home every couple of weeks, for a week. We'll see what I can accomplish this next turn-around!

(Edit: There. I updated my profile to give a bit more info. That avatar photo will change as the bike evolves...)

Last edited:
I've posted this bike before, but last weekend I had a couple of spare hours. So I washed up the Green Goddess and took her out for a ride and photo shoot by the New Era potato chip lady. A grain silo near my house, off of Grand River between Eagle and Portland. I love that the farmer keeps this silo kept up. I remember New Era chips from when I was a kid.
2011-08-21_18-38-39_317.jpg
2011-08-21_18-40-43_500.jpg

2011-08-21_18-44-28_399.jpg

More Pics at http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e8/grepper/Bike/78Standard/?albumview=slideshow

Back