Lets see your tool wall

peanut

XS650 enthusiast & inveterate tinkerer
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I'm about to fit out my bike shed next week and as I haven't a lot of space I'll need to plan it carefully so I thought it would be interesting to see the tool wall /bench layout in your bike garage/shed :thumbsup::D

I wouldn't call it a wall, it started off as such but quickly became a tool entire side of garage wall/bench haha.

Previous house owners must have gotten new cabinets and countertops and put the old ones in the garage. Worked perfectly for my needs.

-2747-4E33-BE6E-0C55905B3DBB-2676-000002C7A2C77A4C.jpg

Wall? You've got too much space! :)

I won't have ....once I put my tools up :D

Insulated and mdf lined all the walls and ceiling , just need to fit a door and some windows and then this weekend see if my bike is actually going to fit in there !:bike:

Hey Justin thats some workshop!:yikes:

Most of our local car repair shops have less floor space than that :D
I like the use of the kitchen worktop and cupboards :thumbsup:

I wouldn't call it a wall, it started off as such but quickly became a tool entire side of garage wall/bench haha.

Previous house owners must have gotten new cabinets and countertops and put the old ones in the garage. Worked perfectly for my needs.

-2747-4E33-BE6E-0C55905B3DBB-2676-000002C7A2C77A4C.jpg

Looks great except for the the Steelers poster, said the life-long Seahawks fan who's ill not over the 04 superbowl. :laugh:

If you want to get serious about this deal go to garagejournal.com. Some of those guys are way out there on garages. And there are alot of normal guys out there like us.

I've seen some of the ones on garagejournal. So prestine you wouldn't even want to wrench in there for fear of getting it dirty. A large number of guys actually admitted they built it just to have a sweet garage with no intentions of using it for anything, I was kind of scratching my head at that one.

its coming along great. I've finished all the unsulation and dry lining and have a working light now. Ordered the new uPvc glass units today ,Put the new tumble dryer in this morning which should keep me nice and toasty !

Just got to install a couple of flourescent lights, a ring main with some socket outlets and a workbench and I'm ready for the bike .:bike:

Oh and I've got to plan and build my tool wall of course lol:D

How is your build coming along ?

My tool wall and it's latest additions...

Attachments

• 20121031_234953.jpg
    20121031_234953.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 234
  • 20121031_235002-1.jpg
    20121031_235002-1.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 218
  • 20121031_235031-1.jpg
    20121031_235031-1.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 221
  • 364.jpg
    364.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 263
I saw my first set of Snap-ons up close tonight. It felt like I was in the presence of...I don't know what. But meanwhile I fixed the shit that was happening with a $10 Chinese crescent from Home of Economy. Also actually got to use a motorcycle tool to get a rusted cover off a switch - the venerable Harbor Freight impact screw driver.

Thought I posted this this morning, must've fat-fingered it somehow.

Anyway, this is one bay in my garage. The whole time I was in the Navy and moving every 2-3 years, I dreamed of having a garage with a dedicated space for maintenance and projects. Used to pass the time on slow midwatches sketching up ideas.

After I retired, I built it. 24x48 garage, four bays with overhead doors, one partitioned off as a woodworking shop, one set aside as a mechanical shop, the other two for actually parking vehicles :yikes:

As always happens, I wish I'd have built it bigger. 24 feet is not deep enough to pull a full-size pickup into and still have room to work around it.

And when I hit the megabucks and build a new and bigger one, it'll have in-floor heat too...:bike:

Attachments

• mechshop.jpg
    mechshop.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 231
In floor heat kicks ass. Our Hangar in Auburn has in floor, and we work in Tee shirts when it's -15 outside.

I have 2nd and 3rd generation Snap-Ons, not to mention the thousands of dollars worth of Snap-On and Mac tools I've bought myself.

I keep at least one "shit set" around for when I need to chop something up to get into a tight spot.

In floor heat kicks ass. Our Hangar in Auburn has in floor, and we work in Tee shirts when it's -15 outside.

I have 2nd and 3rd generation Snap-Ons, not to mention the thousands of dollars worth of Snap-On and Mac tools I've bought myself.

I keep at least one "shit set" around for when I need to chop something up to get into a tight spot.

I spent a couple of years turning wrenches at an equipment rental place. They had in-floor heat and it was unbelievable. Pull an excavator into the shop in the middle of the winter, and an hour later crawl under it to change a hose. Nice warm floor to lay on.

I have a small handful of Snap On stuff, mostly picked up at yard sales. Too pricey for a part time shade-tree mechanic. Guy I worked with had a box full of the stuff tho.

Trying to get a wheel off a skid-steer once, didn't have anything in my box NEARLY big enough. Squeak handed me a 3/4 drive 36" Snap On breaker bar. Still no go. Squeak dug up a 4' piece of pipe and proceeded to snap the knuckle on the breaker bar.

"No problem, the truck stops here every week"

Wound up borrowing a 1" drive air impact from the Class 8 truck place down the road and driving it with one of our 180 CFM diesel air compressors...

Still moving in to this space....it's a terrible mess right now.

Attachments

• 44921_10152340172220113_153879057_n.jpg
    44921_10152340172220113_153879057_n.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 246
I scatter stuff everywhere! My 20 HP Kohler (my air cooled American V-twin!) is on the bench in the background.:thumbsup:

Attachments

• DSC00797.jpg
    DSC00797.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 239
Back