Lets talk about fork gaiters (gators, gaters, etc)

Crab_Cake

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So my build is coming along alright. I have had some pretty major paint problems but they have all been ironed out. I got the forks and the front wheel back on today and I installed my new fork gaiters from Mikes.

eacfec16.jpg

4f6c1af2.jpg

I really like them except for the top bit. Anyone know what the heck I should do about it?

Also while I'm here if anyone has any tips to getting the fork caps off I would appreciate it. :thumbsup:

- i found the rubber on his gaiters failed after a riding season, can hold with a narrow type hose clip...typical cheap chinese shit
- i first put my bike on the centrestand and an axle stand under the front engine mount
- there are 2 types of cap, with adjuster and without...if you have an adjustable cap you will need to turn the centre piece until it is flush with the cap top, then simply turn the cap slowly out, it has a fine thread and is held under tension by the fork spring
- the caps themselves may require a socket or if they are the SR500 style a 17mm allen key

make a bushing out of a PVC plumbing adapter and slot it so the hose clamp will hold it in place. If you cut it in half you wouldn't need to drop the tubes again. A little gooey glue might be a good idea. A lathe can be real handy to make it fit well. I think that is your question?

So wouldn't that be just as ugly? If I had a clamp up there wouldn't everyone just see a goofy clamp?

Could anyone provide a picture? I think that might clarify things for me. Thanks!

I think I read 650central.com sells a set that doesn't need shimming underneath. If I had to shim I'd get some hose thrown out by the local radiator shop. If I had to clamp I'd use header wrap clamps from O'Rielliy's maybe sprayed black. They'd look better than radiator clamps. It will look good when you get it finished.

I wrapped 2" foam tape around the fork tubes where the top of the gators would sit then slid the gators over the foam tape and they fit snug

28154_400138507840_531142840_3859481_4022510_n.jpg

When your MikesXS gaiters fall apart (and they will), you might try truck shock gaiters, available at most auto parts stores for about $5 each. I've had them on another bike for about 10 years, almost 5 years on the 650 and no signs of wearing out. They're a bit long so you need to trim 3 or 4 bellows off the top, then shim with radiator hose and snug a black zip tie around the top. The bottom fits perfectly .....

ForkGaiters.jpg

That's great. And under the cover can be a third of a bellows say to keep the zip tie from working up. In an arrangement where a black zip tie would be visible, they're available wide enough that they would probably look like a real part, if it was turned stragegically. I prefer your look of fewer and larger bellows too.

Last edited:
I have the 35mm forks from the later 650s. Is 35mm the measurement of the outside diameter of the fork? or is that something different? If it is then what is the fork diameter?

I did the shim with radiator hose thing and it seems ok.Did the vent holes too. Not real high on the list right now to do something better.
gaitersinstalled.jpg

IMG_0001-3.jpg

Yes off road truck shock boots such as from Rancho, are the only way to go. About $6 come in various colors, last for a decade. I've tried all sorts of motorcycle types and they all fell apart after about a year and some cost over$40.

Last edited:
Back