Little Slip's first custom build - from UK

littleslip

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Little Slip's street custom build - Slippery #1 - UK

Well I thought I'd better put one of these together to track my progress. Feel free to comment and help out if you think I need it.

Bit of background:

From the UK, I'm 27. worked for Jaguar cars for 6 years. Thats Jag-u-ar not JAGWAR as you guys pronounce! :laugh:
But I'm actually a Personal fitness trainer and nutritionist now.

Normally race superbikes, competing in the Max Grand Prix this year and hopefully the TT next year.

Had a bit of a crash a couple of months ago which ruled out riding, so I sought and bought an XS650 for a custom build to keep the bike bug happy.

Going for a street tracker look, something thats good around town but comfy enough to go out for the day on with the missus on the back.

Plans:
custom subframe, battery box etc
19" wheels front and back - spoked with discs.
Different swingarm
2 into 1 exhaust system
Paint undecided
Pamco and PMA
Maybe R6 forks, or mabe USD forks if I can find them cheap enough
Engine is getting pretty much left alone as the lad had just had it rebuilt. Just a clean up really

Let's get the pics started

What I'm starting with:

3758efe7-cefd-4112-802a-08a3984f74fa_zpsf7353c4f.jpg

Last edited:
Hi littleslip

Good to have another UK member on! Looks like you have a good starting point there. I like your idea around the USDs - i am going to be starting another build this Autumn which will be a Cafe racer with a modern twist and that will have USDs. Interestingly, there is a thread today on GSXR forks being used.

After a few days of progress:

Frame pretty much delugged and electrics removed. Passenger footrest hangers removed and centre stand brackets. Cant believe how much weight came off the frame! 650's been on a diet!
Subframe cut down. Just waiting for a few tools so I can get the tank rubbed down.

The delugging took way longer than I thought it would.

Struggling with what to do about battery etc, I like the open look, but I'm keeping the batter and won't have the space for the under-seat way. And really don't like the exposed battery look.

guess I'll have to come up with some covers but just enough to keep the battery covered.

Any ideas/ pics of battery boxes?

null_zps95c3ff51.jpg

Hi littleslip

Good to have another UK member on! Looks like you have a good starting point there. I like your idea around the USDs - i am going to be starting another build this Autumn which will be a Cafe racer with a modern twist and that will have USDs. Interestingly, there is a thread today on GSXR forks being used.

Was only thinking about GSXR as I have a set of yokes, calipers, master cylinder, lines and discs from spares for my 750 race bike. But I wouldnt want to use them really in case I need them for the 750!

So R6 it may be :)

I believe the ZXR400 is suitable too?
If you are going kick only, you can get away with a tiny battery or capacitor if you are using a PAMCO and PMA set up. If you are using a Boyer unit, the small battery and PMA is the way tot go as the Boyer is quite sensitive on the voltage.

I believe the ZXR400 is suitable too?
If you are going kick only, you can get away with a tiny battery or capacitor if you are using a PAMCO and PMA set up. If you are using a Boyer unit, the small battery and PMA is the way tot go as the Boyer is quite sensitive on the voltage.

Hmmm yea never considered that, we'll see. Project plans all still up in the air lol.

I'm going kick and start to be honest. Having that button is always helpful - something I learnt from my enduro days when I switched to KTM with kick and elecy start!

I'm a bit confused when it comes to what electrical set up I need. There seems to be several PAMCO kits and different PMA kits available. I've read up about them on here but its confused me more to be honest as there's a bit too much information if you get me.

I'm running lights, signals, horn etc. But want a really good system. Just want to update everything really.

I get a little confused when I see kits with the words Rephase or Advance in them...what are they for?
Any suggestions?

Would this kit be ok?

http://www.mikesxs.net/product/24-2670.html

Keeping the subframe pretty much the same length as standard because the missus wants to come out on the back, but wanted it to curve at a lesser angle.

Can anybody advise on which way round the hub goes? Ie which is the disc side?

Good, stuff man. You've only got two years on me - I'd love to race the TT someday. The Manx looks a bit crazier anyway. I don't see that happening for a long while. haha.

Not sure how that hub is set-up. Double bearing side goes on the drive side which you probably know... I'm guessing it's not set-up that way?

Last edited:
Get it done mate you only live once! Ha..

To be honest mate I haven't really checked the hub but yea the thicker side must be the drive side.

Ill be takin a few pics etc and keeping the build thread going :)

Hi littleslip that Pamco kit is nearly right. i think your bike is a little newer than that one though. The kit is two fold and the parts can be purchased seperately.
Personally, I went with the PMA kit from TC Bros - http://www.tcbroschoppers.com/ignit...magnet-alternator-kit-pma-fits-all-years.html

And then the Boyer Bransden ignition system - http://www.boyerbransden.com/yamaha.html KIT00303

When you see rephased it means the engine crank has been split and reassembled to allow the pistons to rise and fall opposite each other, rather than together like they do as stock. It is done to improve performance and also provide smoother running. A lot of threads are on here about rephasing if you are interested in getting it done.

As for wiring, there are a load of wiring diagrams in the Tech section on here and are very simple to follow. they cater for most variations. personally, I ditched the started and did my own wiring from scratch - only running headlight, stop and tail, horn, charging LED and neutral LED. These bikes are so easy to start off the kick, the starter is almost redundant.

Hey Paul, thanks for the advice ill look into the electrical stuff. That rephasing sounds a bit much for me. The engine had just been rebuilt so I'm leaving it alone :)

Thanks mate

New subframe offered up just needs welding. Same length as standard just half the angle
null_zps0a750cf9.jpg

Renthal fat bars off a mate, been brushed so I can powder coat it according to my paint scheme
null_zps444dc7c0.jpg

Brilliant and100% reliable. Plus because I designed and built it I'm not worried about crap parts, workmanship etc. the PMA fom TC is great and the Boyer units are brilliant, backed up with very good support if you ever need it

Back