Long forks handling?

schpud

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was thinkig about getting some forks, not sure how much over stock, but people hav told me that with the stock rake it can make the bike really twitchy? Has anyone run longer forks with stock rake, not a hardtailed bike, and how did it handle?

Thats all we did back in the 70's. 10 inch fork tube extensions and 16 inch rear rim conversions. Who cared how it handled. It looked cool. But then again we were only 18. It's kinda funny to see these ideas resurface after 40 years. Maybe they never went away. I can still walk through our local junk yard and see numerous vintage bikes rusting, all with extensions on the front. Really thought that fad had disappeared. I remember how my buddy needed these cool twisted z-bar handle bars with his 10 inch extension. Talk about twitchy when the shit welds broke on the throttle side at about 30 MPH. I got a laugh out of it. Come to think of it I am still laughing at the fool. Take it from an old fart. Stick with the stock tubes. Buy something that will improve the bike.

I wasn't going anywhere near 10 over. Probably looking for a 4" extension. I like the look of poster "alfredo"'s front end:
pZCDV.png

he says he went 6" over, but I think he's using stock rear shocks. My rear shocks are going to probably end up about 11" or 10.5" so I think 4" over would be better than 6".

If you Google 'rake and trail calculator' you will find some valuable info on this idea. Punch in the fork length you are thinking of and it will calculate the trail. Some of the calculators even have a suggested trail figure to help you decide if your measurements will work. If I remember correctly trail should be in the 4 to 5 inch range for good handling.

With most hi-po bikes, the key number is right around 3.5 inches of trail. That will give a very responsive bike. But responsive in a good way, not washing out the front. The geometry of any bike has many variables. From the center of gravity, trail, wheel base, ect. There is a lot to it if you want a corner carving race bike.

http://bikearama.com/theory/motorcycle-rake-trail-explained/

Back