Look what I found inside my frame....!?

Snikare

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I drilled a hole in the frame to insert a threaded bung for mounting my exhaust and suddenly go drenched by at least a pint worth of black watery gunk....
So I drilled a small hole in the other side and got the same if not more water and black gunk.
I got my exhaust hung, started it up and the shaking is now pushing the remainder of the goo out.
Are these frames filled with something?

This stuff stains the concrete something fierce.....

Attachments

• 20151110_144458.jpg
    20151110_144458.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 268
First time I've seen that kind of thick/black goo come from a bike frame.
I've seen rusty water (not good), but not that stuff.
Maybe it's old/matured rusty water.

Does it feel thick and oily?
What does it taste like?
Rub some on your face. Does it attract women? Men?

I've seen goo like that used for rustproofing inner portions of car bodies.
Maybe someone wanted to rustproof the frame inners?
To get that stuff in there, dealerships and auto body shops had to drill holes.
Could check for hidden/secret holes...

Steel tubed aircraft fuselages used to be maintained that way with oil, but allowed to drain afterwards. My '75 GoldWing sure would have benefited from something like this.

Scott

With airplane tubes that should have been a hot linseed oil treatent.

Any sign of rust in your frame? If not, be thankful.

It was water that rushed out first. And it was a lot... at least a pint or more from each side. Then the black goo oozed out, and now continues to drip. It doesn't seem like it wants to dry. It's the consistency of toothpaste and black like shoe polish.
There is no sign of rust though, so I am thankful of that.

That looks like the crud (iron oxide) that you get at the bottom of a central heating radiator when you drain it and (inevitably) spills onto the floor as you lift it off the wall.

I'd guess that at some time in the past water had got into the frame.

I've had that happen before. I was surprised at how much came out. I don't think it was an XS650 frame though. It might have been an XJ750 I cut up years ago.

Back