Look what the local Boys in blue get to play with

I got the thrill of a lifetime a couple hours ago. The phone rang and I almost didnt answer it. I did. It was Mr. Buddy Stubbs. I had recently read an atticle about the cannonball and it mentioned Buddy as one of the oldest competitors, at 71 years young.
Buddy was also a stunt man in Hollywood for years. He owns 2 H-D dealerships in the phoenix area. He rode His 1915 Excelsior, with sidecar, in the Cannonball this year.
I had sent Him an e-mail asking if He knew the whereabouts of any of the Sportsters used in THEN CAME BRONSON. I didnt really think I would get a reply, but thenm came the phone call. He was very nice, and We talked about 30 minutes. He didnt know what happened to any of the the tv bikes, and said that most of the Guys that would, have died. He did say that Von Dutch had a little to do with the overall design of the bike (he thought), but mainly Bud Ekins( Bullit, The Great Escape)was the Guy that designed the Bronson bike.
He told Me His favorite movie He worked on was ELECTRA GLIDE IN BLUE. You old Guys (like Me) will remember it. It starred Robert Blake (Baretta) as a MC Cop, and was filmed in Monument Valley. He said when Robert Blake showed up on the set, he didnt know how to ride a bike! Buddy gave Him a crash course. I remember seeing it when it first came out. Not a great movie, but kind of a must see for MC Guys. The end scene shows Blake getting shot off His bike by drug dealers. I asked Buddy if it was Him, or Ekins doing that stunt. "Nope, that was a Feller named J.N Roberts, ever hear of Him?" Buddy asked. Oh, yeah. I hope I didnt sound too star struck, but damn, how often do you answer your phone and get to talk to a living legend???:bike::bike::thumbsup::bike::bike::laugh::bike::thumbsup::D

Last edited:
That's awesome! Small world... I met Mr. Ekins back in '78-'79 (guessing) in Tucson, he was working on a movie with Lee Marvin in Little Tucson (movie studio) if you've seen a western you have seen little Tucson.

It's to bad he couldn't send you in the right direction for the bikes, I seen a reproduction/copy go for BIG $$$ at an auction. I wonder what an original would bring in? Heck if there were one for sale I'm sure that running little freak Tom Cruise would buy it up. His "wife" bought him Steve McQueens 1934 Indian Sport scout for a world record at auction price of $177,500...for his Birthday. NICE!

Well hell maybe next time.
and by the way Electric Glide in Blue was a great movie...loved it ever since I was 10years old.(1973)

Very cool story :thumbsup: "Electra Glide in blue" LOL... Seems like in all the movies of that time the guy gets shot off the bike at the end :laugh: "Easyrider", "Angles in hell", "Electra Glide in blue" etc... Since it was mentioned and we are on the thread about police bikes here I am on Steve McQueens Indian Chief "CHP" bike, he kept it on display in his livingroom. My friend and his father here in my hometown owns 3 McQueen bikes and his father knew Bud Ekins personaly. I've posted this pic before but for the McQueen fans here it is again :wink2:

That is awesome! Steve was The Man! They dont come any cooler. You gained a lot of COOL points just by sitting on that bike!
When Bud Ekins passed, the Ekins Family contacted My Bud Greg to see if they could borrow his replica Bronson bike for the memorial service. They had seen it in IRONWORKS magazine. Greg lives in Pa. and didnt want to ship it all the way to aCalifornia. Cant say I blame him.:shrug:

Back