Look what the local Boys in blue get to play with

The guy falling of his bike is not the bikes fault. A stupid rider is the problem.

I could be wrong, I'm pretty sure a stock XS650 would eat up almost any stock Harley from the same period. (maybe not the 57 Sportster) And not in a straight line to top speed. In terms of modern bikes, I could cough on my R1 and outrun your FLH =].
:laugh: you might be quicker thru a 1/4 but you'll get run down in the end

1970 Yamaha xs650 XS1
Standing-start quarter= 13.86 sec at 96.05 mph
Engine - 654cc air-cooled OHC parallel twin
Horsepower - 53bhp @ 7000rpm
Top Speed - 105 mph
Brakes - drum/drum
Frame - tubular twin cradle
Transmission - 5 speed

1970 H-D XLCH
1/4 mile time; 14.25 sec @ 95.03 mph
Displacement: 882.00 ccm (53.82 cubic inches)
Engine type: V2, four-stroke
Power: 65.00 HP (47.4 kW)) @ 6300 RPM
Top speed: 180.0 km/h (111.8 mph)

BSA Spitfire MK III
Top speed: 117 mph
1/4 mile time 14.3 sec @ 95 mph

Royal Enfield Interceptor Top Speed 114 mph
1/4 mile time; 13.8 sec @ 96 mph

1955 Vincent Black Lightning, "
Top speed not listed
1/4 mile time: 14 sec @ 104 mph

Dunstall 750 Norton top speed; 126 mph
1/4 mile time; 12.9 @ 102 mph

God, I should really sell the R1. I picked it up cheap, but I've been told it's bad for your health.

Yes, Jayel, I said not in a straight line to top speed =]. Quarter mile is rough to watch the XS drag, esp against 4bangers. They're super quick 0-60mph around corners though.

I think you are forgetting about the "respect" that is given when you pull up to a strange watering hole on a Harley...
While there are some performance statistics that will show that the Harley is lacking in some areas, there is no substitute for true motorcycling 'Brotherhood'. Even though I enjoy the hell out my XS's there are true differences in riding a heavy weight bike with two times the torque and twice the attitude, than any Japanese wannabe... Period.

Let all the haters come out and whine but that just means you don't know...

Not to mention the HD XLCH is a sportster, quick off the bottom but not nearly as fast on top end as the 1200 of the same era.

I realize that speedometers often lie but according to the speedometer on my '78 Superglide the top end was 128 MPH. I suspect it was actually less. As for my XS, the peg is at 85 and that's where I back out of the throttle.

I think you are forgetting about the "respect" that is given when you pull up to a strange watering hole on a Harley...
While there are some performance statistics that will show that the Harley is lacking in some areas, there is no substitute for true motorcycling 'Brotherhood'. Even though I enjoy the hell out my XS's there are true differences in riding a heavy weight bike with two times the torque and twice the attitude, than any Japanese wannabe... Period.

because that's what I want to associate with; a man in full leathers, with every chrome doo dad the aftermarket industry sales, looking like the village people.

well it depends on what you're doing with the machine too, I wouldn't take a flh flat tracking and wouldn't take a dirt bike on a cross country ride, can it be done? sure but not the best solution

"Let all the haters come out and whine but that just means you don't know..."Is that the "If you ain't on a Harley you ain't shit"mentality your showing! Come on Ironhead your better then that. Most, not all but most of the HD riders today hanging at bars are R.U.B.'s that don't even now how to change there own oil and talk shit about my bike if I don't show up with my American iron at the local watering hole. They buy every bolt on doo-dad from the catalog and have the dealer install it for them. Respect! I don't need respect or approval from people like that, I do what I do and ride what I ride because I like it. Is it nice to have people like your bike? Sure it is, but if they don't it's about as worrisome to me as a cloudy day. Ride what you like and who gives a shit about the posser. Real bikers like motorcycles not just brands, and I have plenty of Harley rider friends that are real bikers, they wrench there own and have respect for fellow builders even if it's not a Harley. Now if a fellow builder picks my shit apart that's another story :( P.S. I should have kept my big mouth shut on this one, I know I'll regret posting it :doh:

Last edited:
The HD FLHT (Electraglide), such as the Police bike shown in the original post, is far from an ill handling underpowered bike by any means. The FLHT is an extremely well balanced bike, and very very nimble bike. You just have to know how to ride it. I can say this because I have an 02 FLHT. The above reasons are why Police departments use them. The newer Police packages have the 103" motor in them, along with a heavy duty clutch, tranny, etc. These bikes get abused and they stand up to the challenges that they are put through. The 2nd choice for PD's is usually the BMW's but I can't remember which model it is. The HD's are a low end bike, with good low end torque for quick starts.
It's not about the chrome doo-dads etc, I'm not into that, but there are alot that are, and they look like Factory riders with their HD jeans, shirt, shoes, belt etc, etc.
There's a reason that this company has been in business since 1903.
bpd106

"Let all the haters come out and whine but that just means you don't know..."Is that the "If you ain't on a Harley you ain't shit"mentality your showing! Come on Ironhead your better then that. Most, not all but most of the HD riders today hanging at bars are R.U.B.'s that don't even now how to change there own oil and talk shit about my bike if I don't show up with my American iron at the local watering hole. They buy every bolt on doo-dad from the catalog and have the dealer install it for them. Respect! I don't need respect or approval from people like that, I do what I do and ride what I ride because I like it. Is it nice to have people like your bike? Sure it is, but if they don't it's about as worrisome to me as a cloudy day. Ride what you like and who gives a shit about the posser. Real bikers like motorcycles not just brands, and I have plenty of Harley rider friends that are real bikers, they wrench there own and have respect for fellow builders even if it's not a Harley. Now if a fellow builder picks my shit apart that's another story :( P.S. I should have kept my big mouth shut on this one, I know I'll regret posting it :doh:

:laugh: sorry (insert name) - i should've held back and ignored your stupidity,

but i really feel obliged to call assholes assholes these days.

it's beyond political now.

Well what a thread I started, just wanted to show the world what I saw, last time I saw a harley cop bike was on holidays in Hawaii, just thought it was of interest to "y'all" that they are down under.

Opinion follows, I spent the seventies on Jap bikes (back when "real bikers" called them Jap Crap"!) though my "new Jap Crap" 500 Kawa triple out ran most of them ??
Went to a Honda VF750 "Sabre" another fast straight liner, then followed by a Ducati 900 Darmah, I still tear up when I think of the day the new owner rode off into the sunset, conti's wailing.

Anyhow, invested in a HD FXRC EVO in 1988, handled like a bag of shit, but, due to many years of riding I suspect, could blow away the patched boys on their soft tails. Upgraded the shocks and forks and ended up with a HD that handled, well almost handled if you rode it with attitude. End of story, got married, sold the Harley..........shit happens.

Back when I was on the HD I was riding with Ducati's, a Laverda, Honda's (CB750/CBX), a Bonneville, Guzzi Le Mans, great bikes all and a fantastic bunch of blokes to hang out with.

If we all wanted the same bike would not that be fairly boring? each to their own and respect for all.
cheers

Well what a thread I started, just wanted to show the world what I saw, last time I saw a harley cop bike was on holidays in Hawaii, just thought it was of interest to "y'all" that they are down under.

Opinion follows, I spent the seventies on Jap bikes (back when "real bikers" called them Jap Crap"!) though my "new Jap Crap" 500 Kawa triple out ran most of them ??
Went to a Honda VF750 "Sabre" another fast straight liner, then followed by a Ducati 900 Darmah, I still tear up when I think of the day the new owner rode off into the sunset, conti's wailing.

Anyhow, invested in a HD FXRC EVO in 1988, handled like a bag of shit, but, due to many years of riding I suspect, could blow away the patched boys on their soft tails. Upgraded the shocks and forks and ended up with a HD that handled, well almost handled if you rode it with attitude. End of story, got married, sold the Harley..........shit happens.

Back when I was on the HD I was riding with Ducati's, a Laverda, Honda's (CB750/CBX), a Bonneville, Guzzi Le Mans, great bikes all and a fantastic bunch of blokes to hang out with.

If we all wanted the same bike would not that be fairly boring? each to their own and respect for all.
cheers

Well said! My motorcycles were like the women in my life-- Jap crap, H-D, Brit Bikes, I loved them all. Even when I hated them.

As for attitude, it's all in how you carry yourself.

Back