Looking for 18" rear - what works??

bkaushansky

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I'm looking for an 18" rear wheel and/or rim (I have a spare hub). Looks like I have a few options: MikesXS 2.5" alloy (new), Akront 2.15" alloy (used), original ???" alloy (used).

Probably run an 18" 120/90 or 4.00 equivalent vintage tire (ex. avon safety mileage). Most tire manufactures seem to recommend a 2.5" wheel, but have a 2.15" as acceptable. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks.
b.

dwyatt
Did you lace a rear rim (18") to a front 19" hub? Are the spoke holes the correct angle and where did you get the spokes?
Tim

Yup, exactly what I did. I used spokes from an XS360, then used a drill to reangle the holes in the rim slightly. Much easier than you'd think.

dwyatt
That sounds pretty cool. Drilling the rims, was that a hand drill and eyeball affair? Sounds too good to be true. Could you give a little more info on purchasing the spokes.
Sorry for being a bit of a pain on this. I don't want to cannibalize the donor wheels without a good chance of success.
Cheers
Tim

No problem. I used a hand drill and adjusted the angle by eye, you just need to be close. It really is easy to do. I used eBay to chase down a spoke set for an XS360. I think they are the same as those on an RD. They turn out to be just the right length for this hub/rim combo.

Back