looking for a confirmation

tfusc

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have recently purchased a 1980 xs650. the frame and id number on the sticker is 2fo-214962. Now judging by the charts and the fact that it has the gas tank with the offset locking gas cap and the side covers mounted by rubber grommets I believe the bike is a "special". can someone please confirm this? Thank you very much from a new xs rider!

XS-SG 79–80 3G1 2F0- 200101
also on the special the swing arm axil mounting has a bolt on piece where the adjuster bolts push against

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
I have recently purchased a 1980 xs650. the frame and id number on the sticker is 2fo-214962. Now judging by the charts and the fact that it has the gas tank with the offset locking gas cap and the side covers mounted by rubber grommets I believe the bike is a "special". can someone please confirm this? Thank you very much from a new xs rider!

Hi tfusc and welcome,
that's what the chart sez for that ID # but to be sure,
here are some visual markers for 1980 & later Specials:-
Electronic ignition.
(note:- the bike kept it's points & mechanical advance covers but there's nothing in them.)
Grab rail is an aluminum casting, not chromed steel tube.
Tail light is attached to the grab rail rather than to the rear fender.
Seat is lift off, not hinged to open.
Side panels are plastic, not steel.
Gas tank has offset cap and reduced (3 USG) capacity.
1980 ONLY has a disk rear brake, 1981 & later reverted to drum rear.
US models usually had megaspoke wire wheels, Canadian models usually had 7-spoke cast wheels.
Specials came with seriously ugly rototiller handlebars that hopefully a PO has swapped out already.

If it really is a 1980 then it would have to be a Special. That's all Yamaha made from 1980 on. The Standard model was last produced in 1979. However, in 1980 there were two models, the normal Special and the budget Special II. The normal model would have cast mag wheels and a rear disc brake. The Special II would have spoke wheels and a drum rear brake. If you post a few pics, we can probably I.D. what you've got for sure.

the bike has the cast aluminum grab rail, the plastic side covers, the offset gas cap, rear disc brakes, the tail light is attached to the rail, the wheels are cast...and im going to try to post a picture. give me a second please lol. I really appreciate these responses this forum is awesome!:thumbsup:

here she is......10245382_939311032765671_8741867121059181567_n.jpg
it has a new -
lower oil sump filter plus gasket
-front and rear wheel bearings
-bronze swing arm bushings
-520 chain plus sprocket with custom spacers to fit
-bridgestone trail wing tires
-new shocks
-new front master cylinder
-magura clutch lever and cable
-magura clutch pressure plates and friction pads
-renthal fat bars
-7 disc clutch , basket, and pressure plate from a 79.

You appear to have 1980 BS34 carbs on there. Next step would be to check the ignition. Electronic would be '80 or newer, points '79 or older. Parts are so easily swapped around and interchangeable on these bikes that "Frankenbikes" are common. The engine and/or carbs from some other year could have been swapped in there.

Hi tfusc,
Nice looking bike and yes at first glance it sure looks like a 1980 Special.
BUT
Check the engine's serial number. I don't see the oil level viewport that should be there on that year's engine.
Mind you, those cover castings will swap from year to year.

it's all matching numbers, looked and found the engine mumber today, and Twomany,it has the special foot pegs according to the chart you posted. thank you everyone for your repsonses

Back