Looking for a good mechanic

Scrambled

Motorcycle Man
Reaction score
OK, I hope someone on here knows a good mechanic in the Toronto area that works on vintage XS stuff . I am in Markham, which is just north east of the city . I have a few shops nearby, but they mainly work on custom Harley . Thanks.

With a good repair manual a few tools and the help on here, you are your best mechanic.
Leo

True , good mechanics are hard to find but that don't mean I am going to stop looking ! While I am here I might as well try to find some XS owners that live near me . Any one live near Markham Ontario ? I have a few parts and I will have a bunch more before I get this bike built .......

Need a lawyer? Forget it, with a few law books and Quicken Lawyer™ you can do it yourself. No offense intended - I'm just being facetious, but sometimes people don't have the time nor inclination to work on their own stuff. I was an automotive electronics tech for 15 years, and I hate working on my cars now. If I knew of a superb mechanic (agreed, fountain of youth, needle in a haystack), I'd have some stuff done that I just don't want to do anymore.

That said, I wish I could help you, Scrambled. I do agree with XSLeo and retiredgentleman (even after saying the above). If you have the time and the desire, give it a shot. There are even other bike owners who are sometimes willing to drop by and help if you ask. Otherwise, wait for a recommendation here, ask other motorcyclists, or visit sites like ePinions, PlanetFeedback and others.

Need a lawyer? Forget it, with a few law books and Quicken Lawyer™ you can do it yourself. No offense intended - I'm just being facetious, but sometimes people don't have the time nor inclination to work on their own stuff. I was an automotive electronics tech for 15 years, and I hate working on my cars now. If I knew of a superb mechanic (agreed, fountain of youth, needle in a haystack), I'd have some stuff done that I just don't want to do anymore.

That said, I wish I could help you, Scrambled. I do agree with XSLeo and retiredgentleman (even after saying the above). If you have the time and the desire, give it a shot. There are even other bike owners who are sometimes willing to drop by and help if you ask. Otherwise, wait for a recommendation here, ask other motorcyclists, or visit sites like ePinions, PlanetFeedback and others.
I got a reply off a local site , GTA motorcycle (Toronto area) and I am going to see the guy tomorrow . He comes highly recommended , knows how to work on old opposing twins , has good rates , and has a trailer for picking up bikes .

I will post after I get my clutch sorted out .

One of the main advantages to these bikes is that they are easy to work on. They really lend themselves to the home mechanic. If you are not mechanically/electrically inclined, you may be better off with a much newer bike. Newer bike= less wrenching = more riding.

A mechanics hourly rate could add up to a big bill.

I know, I agree with both you retiredgent, and XSLeo, but it is nice to have the option of getting a skilled mechanic to do some of the work when the frustration level starts climbing . I am over 50, I have been riding all my life ( got my first motorcycle , a 1965 Honda S90, when I was 7yrs old , and I already had a minibike a year before that ) .

I was riding vintage bikes when they were still new . If you bought a new Japanese motorcycle back in the 70s you could ride the hell out of it and neglect it for years and still never have to do any major repairs . Look at all the 30-40 year old Japanese bikes that are still on the road , lot's of them have never even had the cases split , they are like " Maytags " . So I spent way more time riding than I did wrenching . I have owned a few British bikes and a few Harleys plus a few " modern " ( post 1983 ) bikes . I always maintained my rides so I prevented a lot of major repairs , always upgraded parts when I could . I am a bit rusty when it comes to wrenching so there is no shame in getting a bit of help once in a while . If they didn't make those Japanese bikes so good I would probably be a better mechanic .

Hi. i am in Schomberg, near Newmarket. I am a aircraft mechanic who happens to have an XS bobber I built. I might be able to help you.

True , good mechanics are hard to find but that don't mean I am going to stop looking ! While I am here I might as well try to find some XS owners that live near me . Any one live near Markham Ontario ? I have a few parts and I will have a bunch more before I get this bike built .......

Hi, I have just joined the forum - aquired a 1974 XS650 and been working on it on and off for the past couple of months - Have built a couple of custom bikes over the past few years. You might have seen one of them if you went to the Markham Classic car show on Main street in September. Anyway, it is always good to get together with the like minded. Give me a call. I am currently retired so am now devoting as much time as I can to rebuilding the XS.

Cheers
Garth

Last edited:
Back