Looking for help, building a bobber.

The good part is, you already have nice XS650. Knowing what you want, wait out a bobber for sale, from someone who runs out of desire, cash or a new love? If you find a roller for the right price, you can still make it your own. By holding on to your barn find, you are more likely to find that new bobber faster, than the low price lovely, you have now and will always remember. I remember a recent post by 5Twins, who mentioned how many bobber owners lost interest, way before their bobber was running. No truer words spoken.

Winchester, where? Va.
I'll trade you one that is already cut, tagged, looks great and running great, in order to save that one. I'll even deliver (If you are in Va)

I will say this. Yam277 is correct in his price, but you will never get it back. Not by cutting it up. You'd have an investment with a stock original.

You want one to cut, I got it.

EDIT: Mine is an '81 so it has the stronger frame and rebuilt 35mm forks you will need for a bobber. Hell, I'd throw in a set of VM34s.

Steve - Bill is right (and so are the other guys). You clearly have a knowledge of history and a sincere desire to connect with the past. Kudos!

But....you've also got a really nice piece of history there - it would be a shame to cut it up. There are tons of bikes that willl work better and be just as much fun as a bobber, but are much less rare and valuable.

FWIW.....

Pete

Steve its your bike do what you want but my two cents is that its the wrong bike to chop. Those older bikes cost way more to build and parts are not as easy to get or retro fit to make it what you want. I have built over 50 Xs650 choppers and I only buy bikes that are 1977 to 1983 because of the fact that all those years are interchangeable and parts are easy to get and not high dollar. I know LIL BILL and GOOD guy and all of his shit runs good because he is one of those anal guys like me got to get the best out of a bike. So if you are looking for a trade he's the dude and he has so much knowledge on these bikes he would be a great friend to help. Now cut it up trade it do what ever you want and if you ever need HELP you can always contact me at DADDYGCYCLES@YAHOO.COM and I am just a phone call away for answers . If you came to me and wanted that bike built I would most likely say $6500.00 and one year build because its going to take you 8 months to get that hard tail. I would sit down and make a punch list of what parts you want and what parts you could change and put dollar sign next to each. Remember if you can't do it all on your own add 40% on outside help cost. Hope you post pictures of what you build and good guys on here for help. DO YOUR THING not someone else.
Have a great day Talking to me is free its a email away . Here is just a few of my builds
Rich

Attachments

• 1st bike.jpg
    1st bike.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 237
  • xs650-chop-noid-white_bike-587x440.jpg
    xs650-chop-noid-white_bike-587x440.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 215
  • xs650-chop-noid-100_0505-587x440.jpg
    xs650-chop-noid-100_0505-587x440.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 220
  • xs650orange.png
    xs650orange.png
    396.3 KB · Views: 245
  • xs650 w springer.png
    xs650 w springer.png
    918.4 KB · Views: 238
  • l.gif
    l.gif
    210.9 KB · Views: 233
Steve its your bike do what you want but my two cents is that its the wrong bike to chop. Those older bikes cost way more to build and parts are not as easy to get or retro fit to make it what you want. I have built over 50 Xs650 choppers and I only buy bikes that are 1977 to 1983 because of the fact that all those years are interchangeable and parts are easy to get and not high dollar. I know LIL BILL and GOOD guy and all of his shit runs good because he is one of those anal guys like me got to get the best out of a bike. So if you are looking for a trade he's the dude and he has so much knowledge on these bikes he would be a great friend to help. Now cut it up trade it do what ever you want and if you ever need HELP you can always contact me at DADDYGCYCLES@YAHOO.COM and I am just a phone call away for answers . If you came to me and wanted that bike built I would most likely say $6500.00 and one year build because its going to take you 8 months to get that hard tail. I would sit down and make a punch list of what parts you want and what parts you could change and put dollar sign next to each. Remember if you can't do it all on your own add 40% on outside help cost. Hope you post pictures of what you build and good guys on here for help. DO YOUR THING not someone else.
Have a great day Talking to me is free its a email away . Here is just a few of my builds
Rich

Thanks, I love the board already. Everybody on here has been more than helpful, it has made me a little hesitant about maybe doing the bobber with this bike.

But I also completely agree with the Do Your Thing, I remember watching Jay Lenos Garage on YouTube and he was talking about when he bought his 1933 Indian. He said he remembered when he bought it 25-30 years ago, it was a classic, but it hadn't skyrocketed like it is today and his friend asked, how much did you buy it for and he told him you could of just bought a new Honda.

He said it didn't matter, because I had what I wanted and it didn't matter if it went up or down in value, because he had what he wanted.

I can’t really say what it was that made me fall in love with the Yamaha XS650, but when I saw her I knew what I wanted. I also probably will take you up on your offer, and will hit you up if I ever do need your help.

I do love the colors on it too, the red and white pinstripe looks very old school barber's color, like something Floyd would own on the Andy Griffin Show. Lol

Well like I said its your bike. There are some bikes I would never cut up because of the worth of the bike and the history. I started building XS650 as a joke for a friends birthday present. He is over 350 lbs and rides with a club and I thought it would be funny to build him a little chopper for his birthday and I built him a CB360 chopper. Well it went over great and he turned me on to the XS650 world. I use to build high end Harley's and that chopper faze was dead so I built a couple XS650 and they sold fast. But like I said before I stay with the 1977 to 1983 bikes. They are just what I like and use and most of them were TC BROTHERS hard tails because I get them in two weeks or I use the universal hard tail kits and make them up. I am going to build two for 2017 and getting all my parts together to begin. There are guys on here that love those old bikes and every time I get one I get in contact with TWO MANY he has barns full of those bikes so if you do plan to put it back stock and chop another give him a look up.
Good luck and need help I am a email away
Rich

The advantage to using that bike is your starting off with a good clean bike and the build would be cleaner as well. Engine, suspension, wiring, bearings, lights condition etc..

Good luck with your path.

Back