Looking for new Ignition... NOT PAMCO!

Snikare

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I'm looking for a new ignition. Would like to hear what options are out there that people are using. I'm interested in something simple but would like to get away from points. I've also already been burned by PAMCO, I'm not interested in his ignition. I'd like something more reliable from a company with better customer service.

I'd appreciate to hear what kinds of ignition systems people have evolved to from points.

Thanks for the input.

Darn little reason to get away from a proper points setup, IMO. Cheap, reliable, and can be worked on, if necessary, anywhere and anytime. Unless you ride 30K every year, they're fine. Hell, even if you do ride that much.

Cool. I wondered about a stock electronic swap. I have a '79 Special. What year would you grab one from?

I've thought about keeping the points set up too. I went with the dual cam lobe though and made a custom points set up. I like it, but the cam lobe isn't the most perfectly aligned. i'd like to be riding my bike more, but this lobe issue needs some attention. So, unless I have one custom made.... It would be really nice to get away from the points. My CB750 had factory electronic ignition, and it was trouble free, and maintenance free...

^ Yeah, '80 and up. The TCI module comes in a six and seven pin connector, either or will work, the seventh pin can be bypassed. Mr. Riggs had posted recently about a replacement that will work in its stead, j120 Mitsubishi ignition module.
So, parts needed would be the stator with the pickup, magnet embedded rotor, ignition module and rectifier/regulator. With a dual output coil and some wiring involved too. Plenty of schematics available for reference in the "some wiring diagrams" thread. I think that covers it.
You might get lucky and find someone that has heard that the charging, ignition systems suck and have gone on to one of the newfangled setups.......

Last edited:
Agree with Hooser here. There is absolutely no better quality (aftermarket) electrical system for a XS650.
Class by itself. And reasonably priced when considering what it offers.

I use Boyer ignitions and they have been around for over 30 yrs plus they have a phone number and people to talk to if you run into trouble. Good price and easy to install.

The Boyer system works, and that's all I can say for it. I used Boyer ignitions in XS650 motors from 1993 to around 2012, and switched to Probe. Reason: the Boyer timing plate is poorly supported, and flimsy material makes it prone to warping. Unfortunately, Mark Whitebook had to drop motorcycle ignitions from Probe's products and services; people wouldn't pay a little bit more for a lot more quality.

I haven't used the Powerdynamo, but you're looking at German quality and engineering, a vendor who's a known good guy and actually answers the phone, and a great price--it's a complete ignition and charging system.

My only experience is with points and with Pamco. Points work just fine as long as you pay attention to them and do some occasional maintenance.
I've been using a Pamco for 9 years now, and like it a lot. The Pamco E-advancer makes a good ignition into an excellent ignition.
I wonder what the real story is, as to why the OP has a dislike for the Pamco ignition.

Certainly the Powerdynamo looks like a good product.

Keep away from the Chinese stuff being sold by many of the aftermarket sellers.

You can "fix" that poorly made single points cam. It takes an afternoon of filing and wet stoning the approach ramp on the lobe that fires first to pull it into sync with the other one. But, it's all rather pointless. What you will discover is the XS650 points set wasn't designed to do double duty like this and wears quickly.

It's inexpensive for what it is; you're getting a new alternator and a new ignition in the package. I'd like to know a little more about stator securement, though. Those long 6 mm. stator screws are designed to hold the OE stator in place axially, while the castings on the crankcase handle radial support. Some aftermarket alternators try to make those skinny fasteners do both jobs, and the results can be ugly (learned that the hard way).

My only experience is with points and with Pamco. Points work just fine as long as you pay attention to them and do some occasional maintenance.
I've been using a Pamco for 9 years now, and like it a lot. The Pamco E-advancer makes a good ignition into an excellent ignition.
I wonder what the real story is, as to why the OP has a dislike for the Pamco ignition.

Certainly the Powerdynamo looks like a good product.

Keep away from the Chinese stuff being sold by many of the aftermarket sellers.

I tried to do the Pamco Original. I thought it would be a great upgrade. I wrote to Pete and told him about my bike and what I was hoping to get out of it. I got really short and indignant responses from him. It took him a long time to get me the part, and the part immediately failed. When I could finally get a response from him about it, he blamed my spark plugs, then my coil, then decided his ignition had failed. He offered me a replacement under warranty. I thanked him and asked him to expedite it, so I could get running again. He then replied with, "it's not my fault, its you, and here's a refund instead..." I'm not impressed with the handling of the case, and the length of time he took to try and push blame to everything else. Not to mention the lack of ownership of the issue. So long story short, Pamco is not a company I stand behind and I don't want his product on my bike!

Back