Wanted - looking for pickup coils for 83 special

deshi

The high tech redneck
Reaction score
have a 1983 650 special looking to replace the pickup coils in hopes to resolve my charging system issues, I have replaced pretty much everything else(rotor, rec/reg/ignition) stator tested ok but coils seem to be clunking out. I am in Florida and looking for something cheap so i can use this bike to get to my new job so i can eventually afford the pma/pamco mod.

I have a newer Alt with the pickup on it and if you want it $75.00 shipped in USA
I also have like new REG/REC and if you want both $100.00 SHIPPED IN USA

Attachments

• 2013-07-22 12.10.37.jpg
    2013-07-22 12.10.37.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 170
  • 2013-07-22 12.10.45.jpg
    2013-07-22 12.10.45.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 159
  • 2013-07-22 12.10.52.jpg
    2013-07-22 12.10.52.jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 162
ok, I'm a little confused... The pickup coil is for the ignition system. It has nothing to do with the charging system, other than its mounted to the stator housing... How will replacing the pickup coil affect you charging system?

fb71 no idea i am just running out of crap to replace as the stator i have tests perfect and brand new rotor also testing perfect as well as a new rec/reg still testing perfect. I am however waiting for my new battery to get here today and not sure if the keyswitch is affecting anything as that is still 30 year old.

Get a good battery in it first. A bad battery (shorted cell / sulfated) will affect the charging system voltage. Recheck with a good battery. Also, did you replace the brushes on the rotor? If they are oil contaminated, they can add resistance to the rotor circuit, decreasing the charge voltage. If you're not sure, replace them, they're inexpensive.

Why not start a thread in the Garage, and see if we can't help...

^ Agreed! Plus the the pickup coil is the easiest thing on the bike to test. No reason to arrive at the pickup coil by elimination. But it has no part in charging anyway.

What the op should do if he's out of ideas is start a thread in the main forum and let us help him get 'er done.

we tested the pickup coil and its no longer 700 ohms which the book says it should be its testing at 1500 ohms the bike is not firing right.

I will guess you tested gray to orange then. Black to orange or gray should get you around 700.

Repair by buying used parts till it works is a dead end scheme. I think there is a charging how to around here somewhere......

Not firing right, what does that mean it runs, just not well? no spark, weak spark?

i know the pickup coils are bad my father in law is a mechanic of 40 years working primarily on motorcycles. we already replaced everything for the electrical minus the pickup coils. bike starts sometimes for just a few seconds then dies out, checking spark its not only weak most times no spark at all. yesterday he tested the entire wiring for hte bike and all components.

NEW rotor? A lot of the new rotors sold are not the same thickness as the correct rotor, the timing magnet is then too far away from the pickups. Try the old rotor with the voltage regulator unplugged. If it runs good you have your answer. Pickups are usually pass fail they either work or they don't. I haven't seen any "kinda work" pick ups (yet).

already tried that suggestion gggGary.rotor is fine. I am just at my wits end as this is my only transportation and i am dead broke after replacing so much and i start a new job tomorrow so looks like gonna be a lot of walking to the city for awhile till i can get a pma/pamco

NEW rotor? A lot of the new rotors sold are not the same thickness as the correct rotor, the timing magnet is then too far away from the pickups. Try the old rotor with the voltage regulator unplugged. If it runs good you have your answer. Pickups are usually pass fail they either work or they don't. I haven't seen any "kinda work" pick ups (yet).

what is the solution if the new rotor is too thick? i am clueless now as i replaced the pickup and having same problem. I can kick it fine on the 2nd or 3rd kick but the electric start never fires it off either. if that is any help. the bike will start up when kicked and will idle pretty much ok but after giving it some good throttle it will just up and die like it lost all spark. i also notice while idling the volts read from battery at 12.8 which is far from what it was doing before. this issue is so grrr. replaced the rotor with one from amazon, the rec/reg is from mikesxs tried 2 different ignitions that both test as working. new plugs, new plug wires and caps, pickup was replaced. stator tests ok but still unsure totally. the slap test for the rotor/stator is still not all that strong it does pull the metal towards it using a thin feelers gauge but it doesnt actually slap the case. all relays were tested and ok all wiring tested and ok, voltage regulator was not tested im not sure how to do that one. the keyswitch was tested and is kind of iffy we bypased that with a toggle switch between a wire from the battery positive and the positive brush on the stator. the run/stop switch was rebuilt to be sure that was not causing an issue. motor/carbs both rebuilt. petcock/vac line good so it is getting fuel just fine, also ran in prime position with same problem. if i am missing something to test please let me know.

Last edited:
yeah it starts fine with the kick but never will start with the starter. it will only idle once i rev it up good it will just die out when i release the throttle

Back