Looking for somebody to Restore 1971 XS650

Knoedler

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Am looking to get my 1971 XS650 restored.

I bought is 20 years ago, it last ran in 1998.

It would need several new parts, new paint etc.....

Anybody looking for a Winter Project...?

Everything else might be good but I wouldn't get the guys in that link to paint it, they didn't get the color right on the 71 that's on their site. Could be a color problem with the pictures I guess, but it looks like they painted it yellow. They were originally orange. A very yellow-y orange for sure, but definitely orange. 40 years of sun fades them to a light yellow, almost gold color, but that's not the original color it's just damage. Doesn't make sense to me that you would copy damage when restoring something, you want it to look like it did new. If you want it to look old you'd leave it un-restored. For some reason Yamaha's print adds for the xs1b seem to be yellow too, not sure why, but that probably adds to the confusion.

This pic was my bike taken in 1975 ....

JP-XS650.jpg

Where you from GreasyC? The North American market might have a different color than the rest of the world???

Canada, same paint scheme here. Maybe this monitor is crap, or maybe it's just a hard color to capture on film. Like I said I know it was a very yellow orange, but judging by the underside of my tank where the sun never got to it is orange, not yellow. That's a great picture BTW :thumbsup:

I've been trying to think of a good way to catch the color in a picture. I don't know anything about color correction and all I have is a cell phone camera but here's an attempt to capture the candy orange paint in the same frame as white, yellow, and orange colors we all know:

4r4oE.jpg

You're looking at the underside of the tank up at the front. This is straight out of the camera, I don't know how to correct it any. The lighting sucks but that's winter in canada. Very low angle of the sun.

The color is not that hard to duplicate if you like shooting candies. The first thing you will need is a good piece of original color to match with. Use House Of Kolor Fine Silver Base Coat after you shoot and mask the white. Next mix House of Kolor Pagan Gold Candy with your clear and test shoot. Continue playing with the mix until you get it to match. But remember. Candies can't be rushed. Patience and plenty of time are key. On the attached picture one of the bikes has had the headlight stays repainted to match. One of the bikes is unrestored original. Which is which?

Attachments

• 71XS1B-6.jpg
    71XS1B-6.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 336
I'm going to guess the back one is original and the closer bike has some restoration but I'm cheating and guessing by other clues than the paint which looks great. Thanks for the tips about the paints, so no orange color huh just what's in the "pagan gold" paint?

The Pagan Gold can be anything from butterscotch to a translucent yellow depending on how you mix it with your clear. I had to play with the mix to get a match. Like I said, you've got to like to shoot candy. It takes patience to mix and match.

Back