Looking to replace my handlebars

Reaction score
I would like to replace the stock handlebars on my '78 XS. I'm looking for some handlebars that will give my bike more eye appeal. Does anyone have any suggests? My bike is completely stock...no mods that you would notice by looking at the bike.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder....stock bars off a Standard look good on a Special and Special bars don't look good on anything.
Some like the cb750 Honda bars on the old standards, all depends on the look you're going for. I believe that if your bike was mine I'd get rid of that double bucket seat.....go for a straight line seat, maybe a bit lower in profile for more eye appeal.....you just might find the handlebars aren't that bad.

I like the Euro bar. Besides giving what I consider a proper look, they are very comfortable .....

EuroBars.jpg

Euro is good, super bike bars give a nice sporty feel. Looks like your bike is a standard?

83%20005.jpg

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder....stock bars off a Standard look good on a Special and Special bars don't look good on anything.
Some like the cb750 Honda bars on the old standards, all depends on the look you're going for. I believe that if your bike was mine I'd get rid of that double bucket seat.....go for a straight line seat, maybe a bit lower in profile for more eye appeal.....you just might find the handlebars aren't that bad.

I agree with you on the seat. I got rid of it a long time ago. I need to update that picture. I took that picture the day I bought the bike.:)

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...
So True! What's most important is comfort. Pretty bars are worth nothing if you're not comfortable.
I had Euro Bars on my 78 standard for two seasons. I loved the look. But... I'm 6' tall and found I was hunched over too much. I just went back to my stock bars this spring and road 150 miles last Sunday, besides a soar butt I was very comfortable.

You can see from the above pics what Euro and Super bike bars look like. When your looking at new bars, take note of Width, Height, and Pull Back. Sit on your bike and imagine what it would be like when your hands are in different positions.

Also, keep in mind if you go with high bars you may need longer cables and brake line.

Hey guys,

What about the tilted master cylinder for the brake?

If I change it to a standard handlebar will it cause that stupid tilted master cylinder to suck air?

Has anyone done this and got any info for me?

Thanks,
Pyro

They don't LOOK pretty but they work fine.
Just the reservoir top is tilted.
I ran one for years on low bars.

gggGary,

You the man, thanks.

So could you still get the reservoir full at that weird angle or did you fill it then re install?

One more question, does it mess up the brake lever placement?

Thanks again gggGary,
Pyro

Side stand, turn the bars is enough to level it to fill. With short bars it gets a bit crowded by the triple clamp. but the lever placement is normal.

gggGary,

Great thanks for the heads up. Can't wait to get rid of these special handle bars. My wrists and hands thank you.

Speaking of handlebars, have you ever used heated grips? I live in Chicagoland and if I want to ride early and late in the year it gets pretty chilly.

I hear the charging system is weak in the XS650 line, any experience in this regard?

Thanks,
Pyro

gggGary,

Great thanks for the heads up. Can't wait to get rid of these special handle bars. My wrists and hands thank you.

Speaking of handlebars, have you ever used heated grips? I live in Chicagoland and if I want to ride early and late in the year it gets pretty chilly.

I hear the charging system is weak in the XS650 line, any experience in this regard?

Thanks,
Pyro
Get a PMA system from Hugh's Handbuilt and you can heat your whole bike ! Lots of free electricity with one of those .

Well it wasn't up to current touring bike standards but I have had pretty good luck with them, check the brushes and do the electrical tests on the components if it isn't showing 13+ at idle 14 at full chat. NEVER run a bike with a bad battery, it will EAT your charging system. When in doubt change it out. I sure WANT heated grips, but they would always be on the bike I just sold......
Straight up unless you are commuting daily and maybe even then use the hand warmer packs in your gloves. They work pretty decent.

Scrambled,

I just looked that up and it is sweet. I would love to install one of those babies. If I pull the engine one of those will be installed for sure.

Did you have to pull the engine to install it? According to the Hughs website I may be able to put it with the engine still installed on the bike, but he doesn't say that, I'm just guessing.

gggGary,

I plan on using it as a daily commuter, whenever it isn't raining that is. I looked into some heated gloves powered by rechargeable batteries, so I think I'm going that route. That way like you said its not stuck on the bike. And glove warmers will keep my irish coffee hot too! :thumbsup:

I was thinking it would be cool to stuff one of those Zippo lighter fluid powered catalyst warmers in a pair a gloves but they are about the size of a pack of cigs so a little cumbersome crammed in my isotoners:laugh:

Thanks gents, appreciate the input,
Pyro

Back