"Loose Bolts"

YamadudeXS650C

Central New York XS650
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I haven't flown in a plane since 1985. This is simply because I haven't had a good reason to do so. And I love to drive.
But I'm ready to fly if a destination really calls to me.

For sure plane travel is very safe (statistically speaking) but I must say I'm not encouraged by the recent Boeing "door plug done blowed off !" incident.

And today United Airlines found loose bolts upon inspection of other 737 Max 9's :

1704766895439.png

1704766972740.png

The door plugs are held on by just 4 bolts.

If I do fly, damn sure I won't sit next to a door plug.

Unfortunately, it's going to be a loooooong time before we find out what happened.

Last edited:
Back when I worked on 'em, Boeing had one of the best quality control systems in the industry. Not really sure why they (apparently) don't anymore. Actually, I have my thoughts on that, but would anyone be surprised that the almighty dollar calls the shots?

Covid gave me a severe aversion to close quarters with other humans. Much as I love to fly, I prolly never will again just for that reason. Boeing fucking up a simple door plug makes me lean even more away from flying.

The news this morning said they we looking for those 4 bolts. You'd think they'd be in the door or in the frame.
Somehow I don't think there's a gap big enough on the skin of a plane for 4 bolts to just fall out. Bolts in the door,
nuts in the frame visa versa? Torn out bolt holes? Or clean holes? :umm: Somebody's gettin a whoopin for sure.

I can only imagine the QA/ISO audit going on for each and every airplane and the cross checking on who worked on what part prior to and since that S/N airplane...
That’s something that goes on all the time. We have computers and software that very quickly access that information.

Fortunately, nobody was killed. If the plane had been at cruising altitude, it would've been much, much worse.
The best landing is one you walk away from...
The event occurred a 16000 feet. Our aircraft gurus or someone wanting to google that stuff will tells us there is a world off difference in the inside/outside pressure delta and hence "sucking action" at the unexpected apperture.

The event occurred a 16000 feet. Our aircraft gurus or someone wanting to google that stuff will tells us there is a world off difference in the inside/outside pressure delta and hence "sucking action" at the unexpected apperture.
The plane was regarded to be "full" but somehow no one was sitting right next to the opening.
But next in line was a small boy who had his shirt sucked off of him. Newscasters said, "Everyone was okay", but I don't think the child felt okay after this experience.

An excellent illustration of airflow.

And here's me in the front hole of a Great Lakes.... doin' the same.
Not only is it possible, it's fairly easy to do without losing your phone.
I will admit though that I put a lanyard on my phone the first time. :whistle:
Didn't need it but... you know.... :cautious:

Last edited:
Back