Lost piece of cam tensioner, just a washer?

brilamb2

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was inspecting the tensioner and lost the little washer like piece, (number 15 in the diagram) is this piece needed, or can it be omitted, and if not where can I find a replacement?

What year is the bike/engine?

No diagram shows on your post?

My 78SE has what is called a "damper". It was missing from my bike, so I just used a copper washer.

Without the damper, the tensioner will make more noise.

Yes, you need a damper washer there or the assembly will "click" while operating. The rod will slam into the adjusting screw. MikesXS sells the new style rubber/metal damper washer but being that it is nearly twice as thick as the older copper washer, your adjuster rod may not end up flush with the nut anymore.

CamChainTensioner.jpg

For me, lost pieces tend to show up where I don't want them. You're probably not nearly as unlucky as I am in that regard.

I am ultraparanoid about losing pieces.

yeah it is that damper, and i will check the floor of the garage again, or should just any copper washer work, btw its an 81.

If it's an '81 then it probably had the new style rubber/metal damper washer like MikesXS sells, not a copper one.

brilamb2;

When I needed a damper, I just looked in my spare parts and found a copper washer of the right size. I had to drill the centre hole a little larger. I'm sure you could fine a copper washer locally, rather than order a part on-line.

Attachments

• Tensioner damper missing.JPG
    Tensioner damper missing.JPG
    213.3 KB · Views: 149
Actually why dont you tell the truth. I sent payment through Paypal, and for some reason it took three months fpr Paypal to refund the money to me, after your account rejected the deposit. When I tried to resend the.payment, it told me your account was closed..... Tell the whole story. Ic you want to talk to me, I gave hou my email and ,ell numbef. Why get on a forum and badmouth someone, techincally thats libel.

are you fucking kidding me Brian? I emailed you not even 3-4 weeks ago asking you if you would like to make your wrong a right and I got NO REPLY from you. I am having a hard time believing that you even responded in this thread.

I have saved every correspondance we have had here on xs650.com and via email, and they clearly show that you stopped responding to my requests for you to send the money. After a year of no response, I was starting to feel this was futile but I had a hunch that I should keep all our messages...

I'll be happy to tell the whole fucking story. Like you said, you had sent payment and I immediately shipped the parts out to you. But low and behold, for some reason PayPal reversed the payment and gave the money back to you. We talked and you stated that you would resend the money upon getting the refund AND YOU NEVER DID. My PayPal account has never been closed at all, and continues to work today.

Towards the end of our correspondances I received a message from someone that stated they were your wife and said that you had been in an accident. I obliged, wished you a swift recovery, and asked you to send payment when you could. Days, then weeks, then months passed and I never received anything from you.

Now that I have regained contact with you, how about we settle this once and for all, and you can clear your name by PLEASE SENDING ME MY PAYMENT. My PayPal account is still the same, and if you would like it again I would be happy to PM you.

I would be happy to put this behind me granted you fulfill your end of the deal. How about it?

surprise surprise, he comes outta the woodworks to spew some bullshit and then disappears once I address the truth.

Like I said people, BEWARE.

actually didnt disapeer, just dont have a bike since the accident, so dont log in. i havent gotten any emails from you. Try to send me a pm on here and i will definitely get it striaght. Like i said, i did try to resend it, not sure if i got the address wrong or whatever. I have always help up my end of a bargain. check all the rc car forums im registered on under the same name. But i dont want to use paypal anymore, if you ll accept it ill send you a money order and aftert it clears, id appreciate it if you woullld edit any posts like this. Ill look for the xrays and scan them if yod like, but i was really messed up after the accident. I still dot have he range of motion to ride yet, not even a trike.

brilamb2;

When I needed a damper, I just looked in my spare parts and found a copper washer of the right size. I had to drill the centre hole a little larger. I'm sure you could fine a copper washer locally, rather than order a part on-line.

My CCT Parts look like yours, retired gent. See image.

I had misplaced the copper washer/damper, so ordered the rubber/steel one from Mikesxs. I've since found the original copper one (on my 1976 XS650C that appears to be the Type D variety.

Questions: Should I go back with the original copper one or use the rubber/steel damper from Mikesxs or perhaps both? I don't have the rubber-coated one in front of me to look at it, but I recall the rubber was primarily on one side. Should the rubberized side face the threaded dampener rod or the spring?

Attachments

• Cam_Chain_Tensioner_Parts_XS650C.jpg
    Cam_Chain_Tensioner_Parts_XS650C.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
As I mentioned above, the rubber/metal "new style" washer is much thicker. You will no longer be able to set the plunger flush with the end of the adjusting screw like the manual describes. If you do, your cam chain will be bow string tight. I would use your original copper washer. The new style may be an improved damper but not if you end up with the chain too tight. With that new style washer installed on an older tensioner assembly, it's very hard to set the tension because you can't see the end of the plunger. It's inset about 1/8" when the tension is correct.

Back