Louder Horn on xs650

jimdi

Jimdi
Reaction score
I have a buddy that wired a car horn on his Harley -
I read somewhere that a car horn pulls too many amps for the electrical on an xs650 (1981).... Is that true or can I wire a louder car horn on my xs650? I know I would need a relay and fuse.

Good to see you on board Jimdi. No answer for your question though I was contemplating something of the like until I FINALLY got my electrics up to snuff and my stock horn sounds good, not great but good, definatly better.

I would use a relay no matter what other horn you use. It makes your horn button last longer. AS far as the bike being able to power it, you should be able to use most diaphragm (car type) horns and maybe an air horn. O'Reilly sells a neat compact air horn for $50.

Sure the XS electrics will run a stronger horn. I mean it's not on that often is it? Farm and barn has a selection of louder auto horns several of which will hang where the stock horn does, just a little bigger.
PS Jimdi love your Avitar!

These things are supposed to have horns on 'em?

Attachments

• honda%20bull%20horns.jpg
    honda%20bull%20horns.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 139
jimdi, I use Fiams (from Advance Auto or any other big box store) powered by a relay. Get one high tone and one low tone for a pair. Those horns make 'em swallow their cell phones sideways.

My buddy used FIAMS on his Harley - did you use a relay and fuse - what did you hook to? Standard stock Horn circuit ?

I'm afraid I don't like your avatar, as you've simply tilted the decades-old Yamaha 650 Society "Man on Bike" design. The Fiams I use didn't come with a relay. I used a 30A 4-prong relay, using the original horn leads to trip the connection. Power comes straight from battery through a 10A inline fuse.

Wrong on the 650 design - I Had that back in the 80's - I have seen what others have ripped off of me - I suggest you get your facts straight before you spout off accusations. My design has gone through "progressions" but it started with a doodle I did in college when I bought my 81 new from the showroom.

I have an '81 Special that I ride year round as often as I can, and the crappy little stock horn is rusted out ready for the dumpster. A much louder horn seems like cheap insurance to me and worth the extra monkeying around to install. I've read a bunch of reviews on louder horns. A common complaint is that many that are otherwise well regarded have major components made of plastic (like the Stebel) that fall apart relatively quickly from vibration.
So, I'd like to hear any advice about specific horns that are really loud (over 120db) compact, all metal, really durable that you've put on your 650 and how they worked out. I'd like to mount it in the same area as the stock horn where it's not too visible since none are particularly cool looking.
tnx
Charlie

This is exactly what I had in mind. Maryland requires one so, get a LOUD one.!

I would use a relay no matter what other horn you use. It makes your horn button last longer. AS far as the bike being able to power it, you should be able to use most diaphragm (car type) horns and maybe an air horn. O'Reilly sells a neat compact air horn for $50.

hi i ended up buying a new xs650 horn from mikesxs .... no better than the crap i had ,,,, i solved that problem by buying a pair of gs1000 horns ,,, secondhand of ebay.com usa,,, and using 1 off them alot louder and no problems ,,,also cheap regards oldbiker

Back