Low buck build- #2

I have been working on getting the the Goldwing fender cut down to fit the frame. Once that is mounted, I will get the seat pan cut down then it's off to the upholster.

XS650.jpg

xs6501.jpg

Will do. My plan is to find a piece of tubing that fits over the diameter of the upper shock mount. Then cut 1/3" of the tubing away and weld two washers on each side of the tubing. I'm going to use a hole saw to cut a nice round hole into the two tubes to weld the mount into. I have four day off soon so I will be back int he garage. The weather is finally above 20* so I can actually move in the garage.

Thanks guys for the support. Capt Zoom, if you are in MPLS or near we should chat. I'd like to meet some of the local guys.

We should definitely chat sometime. I'm over in Robbinsdale. You have in interesting idea for the mounts. I'd love to see how it works out. I was planning on either making some like the originals or making some u-shaped mounts that mount to the back of the seat rail.

I'm waiting until spring to get mine welded by a relative. Making a super low seat (20-22 inch) bratty for my wife. Got an old wassell tank and the new detroit bros one to use. Figured out my petcock situ last night since nobody makes 3/8 NPT 90deg Right and left side petcocks that don't cost a mint. I'm going to end up using some of those L shape spigots from Lowbrow, a T, and an inline petcock before they go into my 34mm carbs. Calling Shurai today to talk about mini-batteries.

I got a call the other day. My engine is tuned up and checked out good. I'm going to pick it up this week. Back to building.

I went to check out a pile of pats a buddy had and ended up going home with a nice set of BS38's and some early ignition parts that will replace TCI crap. I got the carbs, 3 coils and ignition parts for $50. Gonna sell the set of bs34'S now.

The bike is now at my house instead of the garage so I can pluck away at it. Stated stripping the rattle can paint off the engine. The CZ tank won't work with the engine in the frame. I picked up a Sporty tank at a garage sale for $20 though. I fucking hate the Sporty tanks, but they fit so well.

A little update while I'm here.

I cut my hand real bad last week with a cut off wheel. So I have been putting my polisher to work. What a pain in the ass. I did the left side cover, the advance covers, and the valve covers. I have been slowly stripping the rattle can paint off the engine from the previous owner.

FWIW, I have a spare advance rod (just the rod) if any of you are in need. If someone is willing to send me two advanced rod bushings, I will send my spare advance rod to them.

Last edited:
A couple quick shots. The Sporty tanks just fit the XS so nice. But I hate to use it. Still polishing away. The right side case is in paint stripper now.

FILE0140.jpg

FILE0139.jpg

Looking good Beau. We're almost finished with ours as well. Mock up is pretty much complete. Time to tear down and do some frame clean up before sending out for powder and paint. I ended up with around a 20" seat (bare metal at the moment).

I like it! Nice slant on the rear shocks. At least you will have something to ease the potholes. Looks real good, nice job on the fender,too.

Thanks Gordon.

This week I ordered up a gasket set and a 500-16 rear tire so I make sure the bike will have the right stance. The rear end is next. Polishing aluminum is a terrible job.

Still pluggin away piece by piece.

Shaving down the upper fork crown. I took off the old gauge mounts, the reflector bumps on each side and shaved the top smooth. Almost finished polishing.

Stock upper (photo from swap thread)-

fork.jpg

FILE0188.jpg

I picked up a cheap Harbor Freight belt sander to help out. I'd say about 4 hours so far. I still have more sanding to do though. I'm not going for perfect, but these sort of things are free to do, so it's worth it IMO. This is the slow season at work, so I just work on it when it's not busy. :shrug:

A drum sander attached to a drill press might work good. I think that's what I will use when I do it. It looks really good man. Keep up the good work.

Back