Low buck build- #2

That would also work. I have a BIG belt sander too, but it was more than what I needed for this. It's REAL easy to remove more material that you want. So I think less is more. A good file and lots of sandpaper are the best items.

I pulled the fork apart last night. I can not get the bolt out of the bottom of the right side leg. The damper rod is just spinning. I'm gonna have to figure something out.

I cut 2" off the stock spring top and ground the top flat so it will fit nicely. I dug through some bins at work and found old Schwinn bicycle kickstand springs (the style that most people pulled out of the frames to throw away). They fit tight but we'll have to see if the springs will work (as far as I can tell, there was no top out spring originally). Otherwise I'll just make a full length spring. I then cut a 3/4" piece of PVC to take care of the rest height needed. The spring doesn't interfere with the oil holes so I didn't have to drill any holes. Pretty simple.

1978 Harley Super glide fork lowering.

DSCI0065.jpg

FILE0192.jpg

FILE0190.jpg

Last edited:
My repair stand ended up being a fancy old Sansui tube radio. My friend came and rescued it today.

I had the bars TIG welded. I think I would have liked the sweep to be a little bit more, but for now it will do.

I'm 90% done polishing the top tree, and I shaved the fender mounts on the left fork lower. What a pain in the ass.

Time for a break from sanding. I'm gonna finish up the rear shock mounts now.

FILE0201.jpg

FILE0194.jpg

FILE0197.jpg

FILE0198.jpg

Great looking build! I have been kicking around the idea of going with the brat look too but the seat was always the part that looked out of place on the ones I saw. I recently saw this and I thought the seat was nicely done.

Attachments

• xs650-chop-noid-XS20-587x366.jpg
    xs650-chop-noid-XS20-587x366.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 121
  • xs650-chop-noid-XS24-587x366 (1).jpg
    xs650-chop-noid-XS24-587x366 (1).jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 153
That is a great looking bike! 21/21 looks great with these frames.

There are only about five of the Bratsyle bikes that I like. 75% of their bikes are not my style. What I do appreciate is the fact that tey keep thempractical for the most part. They has turn signals. They have front brakes. They have rear shocks (debatable). Yet they still pull off some amazing builds. I can appreciate that. If your business can create a Worldwide style named after you, thats's history!

As far as the seat goes, I'm going to go the tool leather route. My ladies Mother is a saddlemaker and leather worker. She is going to do my leather work.

I went to a swap meet today in St. Paul. It was mostly "American" parts. I found an old school Arco 16x500 rear tire on a rim for super cheap. I also found some cheap slash cut pipe and an oldball mid shifter control.

FILE0003.jpg

FILE0002.jpg

FILE0006-1.jpg

Started making mounts out of 1/4" steel. Oh fun.

FILE0015.jpg

I went to the local Tandy Leather and bought a swivel knife. I have half a hide and I think I'm gong to try and do my own seat. I first traced out the image on my computer screen. I flipped the piece of paper around and rubbed lead all over the back of the tracing. The first time I did it, I didn't wet the leather, and I used a flat head screwdriver...It didn't work to good.

FILE0014.jpg

I did some more reading and watched a few more videos. So this evening I cut another piece of leather. I wet it with a sponge and traced another image out. I took a little more time the second time. Once the leather looked like it was back to it's normal color, I taped down the image with the scribbled lead side down on the leather. Then I traced the image with a ball point pen.

FILE0016.jpg

I kenw I needed some better tools. So I broke out the bench grinder and modifed some stuff I had around. I used part of a XS kickstand, a 16 point VW wrench for hub caps, a dental pick and a bicycle axle to amke different punch's. (Sorry no pics)

Then I sat on the basement floor for about two hours and hammered away. I can see why a million different punch's are required for this. I made do with what I have for now. This is my second shot at it. Lots of curves and circles make for a tough time. I'm going to pick up some more tools and hammer. It's pretty fun! I just need more practice.

First and second try

FILE0018.jpg

FILE0017.jpg

FILE0020.jpg

FILE0019.jpg

Very nice! What kind of stitch are you going to go with? I really like the old, gnarled look with large leather stitching and rough edges that make the seat look old and weathered. My dad has a bunch of old leather tools buried somewhere that he is gonna dig out for me so I can make my own seat. Have you seen the thread (I think it is on here somewhere?) for how to make your own seat yet?

I did see yours. I'm going for the other style Bratstle uses. I plan to make a fiberglass pan. I did purchase a 4' brake and a slip roll this Summer so I might see if I can make a metal pan.

The old fella at Tandy showed me some different types of lace. Kangaroo s nice, but at nearly a $1 a foot it's expensive.

This is my insiration-

photo%2036781.jpg

I did this seat a few years ago with boot lacing. It was a rotted out homemade seat I picked up from a local guy.

DSC00329.jpg

DSC00342.jpg

DSC00343.jpg

Back