Low buck build- #2

I picked up these Sportster 10.5" shocks today finally. $40 plus a 2.5 hour drive since he didn't want to ship them. It was pleasant though. $60 added.

NewImage.jpg

My mess of a shop and some of the wonderful photos I took.

I reused the stock seat mount tubing since it had the bend I needed. I took a while to make the two sections match but I think I got close. I modified some of the 1" DOM to make a slug to reunite the sections back on to the frame. Drilling a few holes allowed me to weld the slug in. Thanks Visual Impact for the directions!

I cut all the little brackets and clutter off the frame, along with the headtube gusset.

Shock mounts are next.

IM000542.jpg

IM000541.jpg

IM000544.jpg

IM000543.jpg

Last edited:
I LOVE old wagons. They are not worth anything as far as value goes. I have 3 that I use for various jobs. They are also.

Some better pics.

The bars are from a bicycle and for mock up. The fork still need to be lowered too. But I needed to see what the lines of the bike look like.

I also found a tank today that I think is gonna work better (not the green one)

DSCI0004-1.jpg

DSCI0011.jpg

DSCI0012.jpg

DSCI0008.jpg

DSCI0014.jpg

DSCI0005-1.jpg

DSCI0007.jpg

DSCI0006.jpg

Last edited:
Got this tank today on ebay. Hopefully it looks good. The motor is being dropped off Thursday for rebuild by a buddy.

!CFHdBLQEGk~$(KGrHqMOKkUE0,TPLW0HBNUFTJWQlw~~_12.jpg

!CFHdiVg!Wk~$(KGrHqYOKpME0UnDvv+)BNUFUEIoWQ~~_12.jpg

Last edited:
Handle bars are expensive. So I'm gonna make my own kind of.

I found these stock HD bars. No clue what they are off of. I took 4" out of the enter and I'm also changing the sweep (pull/angle in the motorcycle world?). They used to sweep back quite a bit. I used the old pipe cutter I scored from the local antique store to make nice clean cuts. Once again, an old VW lug wrench was sacrificed to make slugs to weld the bars back together.

Here they are after the cuts.

DSCI0040-1.jpg

DSCI0039-1.jpg

I plan to hack them off on top after the bend so I can run 7/8" tubing and controls. That should make it cheaper to run the controls I want.

DSCI0041.jpg

I should have them welded back up later this week.

Last edited:
I suppose. But for my sake, it's cheaper to run the 7/8". I make my own throttle using an old Sturmey Archer 3-speed bicycle shifter. The tiny little moto clutch lever is only $10 from the local parts store. I'm not a very big dude either, 1" grips feel huge to me.

I understand, and don't mean you should leave them 1". Just that it's common for folks to want to convert to 1"-kinda funny. You going to paint the bars?

I love that CZ tank-used to race one in the early 70's . :)

John

It's an old International.

The tank came today. It had to be the most interesting package I have ever received. The old labels on the cardboard were paint in rattle can chrome! When I opened the box, it was packed full of solid expanding foam! The tank was in a plastic bag though.

I was happy to see a cap on the tank and the inside is MINT. Not to mention the steel is REALLY thick. It's one tough tank!

I placed it on the frame and it's exactly what I want. Pics to come.

Yep, I like the CZ tank.

Have to say I like the look of older tanks in good shape on bobber/bratstyle cycles..love the patina.

A mate has a BSA bantam tank on his bratstyle & looks great, says he is going to paint it, wish he would'nt as it looks cool.

Cheers.

I love the knee scallops. And the round tank. So many people rock the peanut tank and its just way overdone. I have an old BSA flattrack tank on my '81 Heritage build and I really love those nice organic, fluid lines.

You should select a paint scheme to compliment such pretty lines.

For now I'm going to leave the paint as it is. Others have even mentioned getting paintless dent on the few dents and just clear coating it.

I thought this tank had lines similar to a peanut tank but I like how it is round like a Wassell. It's a little larger than I imagined but I think it will work. Once the engine is back in maybe it won't look so big.

I'm still thinking I might rework the rear end a bit. Something doesn't look just doesn't look right.

Back