Low idle at start:

Reaction score
Hey guys, trying to finish my 1981 XS650, carb was doing good but now when you start bike low idle and no throttle, took off air boxes and notice when giving it throttle my carb slides are just shaking when using throstle but not going up, what's going on?

When a bike won't respond to throttle, the first thing to check is the pilot circuit.

Pilot jet/mixture screw/passage ways, etc.

Does your fuel tank have rust in it? Do you use fuel filters?

Tank has some rust but not bad and no filter, should I use a filter?

Yes, you should use fuel filters. The rust has likely made its way into the pilot jets. Remove the carbs to the bench, turn the carbs upside down, and remove the float bowls. Remove both pilot jets and clean the dirt/rust from the jets.

Yeah it's dirty:doh:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 197
I believe you are looking down through the top, with the diaphragm/slide/needle removed, at the needle jet?

:wink2: WAY to organized there Richard. If you want to be challenged dump those carb parts in with the brake parts container and shake it up.
Get a six pack of energy drinks and you got all night to finger it out. :D

Here are my mix screws, my question is, after clean up can youvput them in this way. I know probably a dumb question, I think the last time I had to fish out the o rings.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 185
I was watching a video on the forum about bs34 carbs, this guy was using silicone spray on the diaphragm, is that ok to use? I've had my carbs a parts for about three or four day, will my diaphragm be ok to put back together or do I need to give them a spray? I have those parts covered.

I was watching a video on the forum about bs34 carbs, this guy was using silicone spray on the diaphragm, is that ok to use? I've had my carbs a parts for about three or four day, will my diaphragm be ok to put back together or do I need to give them a spray? I have those parts covered.

I have never used silicone spray, but silicone is a good thing to put on rubber. Keeps the rubber from drying out and cracking. I use a little dielectric grease on my diaphrams, which is silicone.

Back