Low voltage. Help!!!!

Juicyk

Retro
Reaction score
1983 with PMA pamco and sparks
Using the 5th diagram in this thread. http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61&highlight=Wiring+diagram

At the 20amp fuse from regulator to the sparks I'm only getting around 2.5 volts when kicked over. I've done some research saying maybe one of the yellow wires is loose or the stator is bad. Bike ran awesome with sparks right before
It lost all electric while riding the other day.

What are your guys thoughts on the issue?

Juicyk,

Temporarily wire the PAMCO to a separate battery sitting on the floor so you can start the engine and troubleshoot the PMA problem.

I think each white wire (there are three of them) is 11V AC, but I could be wrong. I'm sure pete knows.

Ok so i rewired the bike once more to perfect spec, fixed one of the loose yellow wire connections. still no sparks and im unsure about voltage.

But when hooked to a battery the bike would run bit the brake switch lit up like a light bulb and sparked when the break was pressed.
Im thoroughly lost at this point and am running out of time before i have to go to school so anyone have any clues as to why this would happen like it did.

Using this diagram
simplifiedWiring2.jpg

As Patches said 11 VAC is about right.
Hook the Pamco up as Pamcopete said.
Now with bike running, check the voltage on the three yellow wires. Number them 1,2,3, test from 1-2, 2-3 and 1-3. You should get the same voltage on all three.
If low or no voltage on one set you have a bad stator or wiring where the yellows hook into the stator. As cheap as stators are replace it.
Leo

Back