lowbrow cloth covered plug wires

D Stroy

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is anyone running the lowbrow vintage cloth covered plug wire kit? I have it already and plan to run it, but am wondering if there is any consequence to having the open terminals like that. I would be interested to know if those of you running these wires leave them open or have added something to cover the terminal. Thanks!

Are you going to ride the thing or put it on display? If you get caught out in the rain, they may start shorting out to the motor fins. If you touch one of those open ends while it's running, you'll get zapped. Your inner thighs are a very sensitive area not to mention the fact that they're only 2 feet from your balls, lol. Personally, I'd add caps.

I run their red clear set....

detail_346_red-translucent-spark-plug-wires-photo-1.jpg

.....has the same ends.

By buddy tried to get me to cut the ends off and put NGK caps on them but I decided to just leave em and try em out.....they look better than NGK caps to me.

Yes......these fuckers will bite you. Ive taken 2 ZINGS from em. Both times I took my left hand off the grips and let em hang to rest em a bit.....ended up putting me hand right against the plugs.....woke my ass up real quick.

Ive rode in the rain and some really wet and intense fog with em....never had a problem with them.

the main issues are due to emi (eletromagnetic interference), i don't think the tcis are sensitive enough on these bikes to suffer, but any electronics in the area might have trouble. they are probably modern leads under the cloth, so not so bad, but the exposed boots may still cause probs.

I have them on my 277pamco project with NGK caps. I've about 5 miles on the bike right now. The bike is not running quite right but I do not suspect it's the wires, at the moment, as I was told they have all the advantages of modern wires (and simply a cloth covered look) . guess I should look into it, though, and test a different set :shrug:

the main issues are due to emi (eletromagnetic interference), i don't think the tcis are sensitive enough on these bikes to suffer, but any electronics in the area might have trouble. they are probably modern leads under the cloth, so not so bad, but the exposed boots may still cause probs.

ah that's the beauty of a un-shielded ignition, pull up next to someone with a obnoxious stereo (preferably rat music) and hear that lovely POP POP POP at high volume :D

The spark plug terminals look like what we knew as "Rajah" terminals in the 1960's, often used with Packard 440 wire - I've still got a few that I can't bring myself to throw out, although I know I'll never use them on anything. They likely are zero resistance, not 5K like NGK boots for 650's.

that's what the screw on tips on spark plugs are for, used to hook up your plugs just like any other connection when they had eyelet connectors at the end of the plug wires

Thanks guys, I will probably end up fitting a cap somehow as I don't want to get shocked. Good to know that they would run fine even if I didn't though.
-D

Back