Lower RPM gearing

cmyoch

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I know there are multiple posts here on changing out sprockets for better highway mileage and lower RPM. I see several different combinations of gearing and I'm curious what is most common. I do not have plans on changing my 5th gear in my transmission. I would like to just change the sprockets. I'm looking for a better high end without sacrificing my low end. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, it is if you don't go too small on the rear. If you have a 16" rear wheel, 17-32 is a good ratio, 17-33 if you have an 18" rear.

Punch some numbers in here and you can see about what you'll end up with .....

http://www.gearingcommander.com/

I have two 18" rear wheels, one with a 32T and the other with a 33T. I prefer the 33T gearing for my type of riding (mostly back roads). With the 32, I can feel the loss of take-off "lunge" in the lower gears. If you have a 16" rear, a 32 will be about the same as a 33 on my 18".

Here is an Excel spreadsheet that shows MPH vs RPM for all combinations of sprockets, wheels, tires and gears. The orange cells are pull downs to select the desired values. Rolling distance is the distance that your bike rolls forward with one revolution of the rear wheel.

RPM's vs MPH

Sorry bd, I should have reviewed the recent posts before posting this question. I'll go through these spreadsheets and see what I want to do. First things first, I need to see what size wheel I have.

I have tried a 17/34, 17/32 and 17/30 with the 16 inch wheel. You drop about 100 rpm for each tooth smaller on the rear sprocket.
I like the 17/32 as a good all around set up. The 17/34 is best around town, the 17/30 is best at highway speeds.
I think going to an 18 on front is too much unless all you do is on the highway.
Leo

As of now, I'm mainly riding around town and through the country side. There are short stints on the highway between country roads but I would ride more on the highway if I wasn't turning so high. I may try the 17/32 set up and see how that goes.

I bought 17/32 sprockets for mine but it will be a little while till it's all together. I'm only 155 lbs so it should pull me around just fine

I'm a buck 70 and hope to get down another 10 pounds or so by summer. The lighter I get, the faster I can go!

Florrisant MO, huh? I travel to the North side of the 270 loop every once in a while. We should meet up sometime. Do you ever make it to the other side of the river?

I don't make it over there very often. Once I get my bike together we will have to meet up for a ride. Bradical lives very close to me too

Back