Lowing forks problem: stiff as balls

QWERTYMage

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey, y'all.

The bike: XS650B
Lowering kit: 2 inches HBB spacers
The Springs: Brand new Mikes XS Progressive springs cut to sit flush with the uncompressed fork tubes (wheel off the ground) to offer slightly stiffer ride and give a bit of preload.
The Oil: Motul 15w @ 175ml.

When I fill both legs, the forks are so stiff my 200lb ass can't compress them.

When I drained both legs, they move freely.

As an experiment, I filled one leg w/ oil and tested it. It compresses as expected the first time, but get stiffer each time I compress them until they won't compress...

Shorter springs don't seem like the answer (as we know they compress). Tubes are straight. The buildup of pressure leads me to believe that the spacer holes aren't lined up, but they were when I dropped the internals in the forks.

Any ideas? Thinner oil? Sounds normal?

Thanks for the help.

Attached is an image of my fork range without oil:
Forks are uncompressed. Yellow is with bike on the ground, Orange is with my weight on the bars...

Attachments

• 496817293.jpg
    496817293.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 117
I loosened the axle and tried it. They move like the picture above (like they had no oil)... then I tightened the axle and they are still moving like the pic above...

I think you had your fork assembly and wheel install technique off a little. When you tightened the axle, it sounds like you bound the forks up. You should tighten the axle most of the way with that clamping cap on the bottom of the left fork leg still loose. The shouldered portion of your axle on the left side acts as the wheel spacer there. It needs to be able to pull in tight to the wheel (well, actually the speedo drive) as you tighten the axle - without pulling that left fork leg in with it. The usual routine is to tighten the axle most of the way then bounce the forks up and down a few times so that left fork leg can find it's best spot on the axle shoulder. Then tighten the clamping cap on the left leg, then final tighten the axle nut.

Back