Mag wheels and getting to bear metal

Inevitable

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Ok so I know soda/sand blasting is probably the way to go.

Problem is this, I don't have the means to do this. No garage, no compressor.

So I'm hoping someone can give me a link to a home depot/ lowes product that will chemically take off the powder coating on the stock 19"/16" mag wheels.

Any help would be appropriated.

Thanks,
Dan

We hand sanded (roughed up) ours then hit them with duplicolor wheel paint. Most people think they are powder coated and are impressed with the quality of the rattle can wheel paint. Cost me a can and a half per wheel. So about $30

A brass wire brush would be faster but since I was painting it didn't need to be completely gone.

Hey Dan, that stock finish is not a powder coat, so the Aircraft Remover (removes aircraft?) Should get ya going. That stuff has methyline chloride in it, which stinks, and will eat holes in your person. Don't get any on ya. If you do, flood it with water and get all the visible washed away and get soap and water on it immediately to prevent blistering. The soap helps neutralize it faster. Even though it continues to burn for a bit, this makes a big difference. Just be careful. Lots of folks take a round trash can lid and put a 13 gallon bag over it, and use that as the work surface to do these strip jobs.

The Kleen Strip Sprayable Stripper is much stronger than the Aircraft Remover. You'll wanna get the one that says "fastest" and "strongest" on the bottle. It's about $25 a gallon at Lowes.

Thanks guys!!

I was hoping to strip them last night but got stuck trying to remove the dam wheel bearings....removing 30 year old wheel bearings blow dude...

That being said I was kinda planning on doing the whole sneak down to the local car wash thing tonight. I'll make sure and take some before and after pictures to show you guys the progress.

I'm also going to be stripping my triple trees to give them a fresh coat of paint as well.

In case you were wondering I'm going to rattle can paint them with this appliance hard curing epoxy paint.

Saw a buddy of mine do his this way and it came out looking great...hoping I can duplicate the results.

Attachments

• 534249_10100975292323231_1853309269_n.jpg
    534249_10100975292323231_1853309269_n.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 227
It works!

To any of you wanting to do this in the future. The product I used was Aircraft paint stripper...the one in the can. about 9.99 at your local auto store.

Spray on a decent layer...let sit for 5-7 mins...and either scrub it off with some fine steel wool or blow it off with a power washer.

**please note if you use a power washer the chemicals can come back and bite you...make sure your careful and wearing protective clothing/gear.

Attachments

• IMG_20120920_203436.jpg
    IMG_20120920_203436.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 465
Honestly the majority of them did look amazing and shinny. But there were some dings that bothered me from the previous owner...nothing huge but still. I'm sure they were from various random stuff like small rocks hitting the rims and were less the 1/32 inch deep...but...I can be anal some times and ya....

I was hoping that if I painted them the paint would cover up those dings...sure enough they did...I'm using the appliance epoxy from resto and it has come out very clean...trying to find my phone this morning...once I do I'll take some pictures of the new wheels =).

I graduated with an industrial design degree from Auburn, and used the paint on several projects. It has always proved to be extremely durable. The main reason for using the product is its ability to be touched up.

No matter if you choose powder coat or paint. Random artifacts flying at your wheels or frame is rather inevitable. It's just going to happen. And it will knock off chunks here and there even if it doesn't go down to the metal. With this product however you can easily touch it up and have yourself back on the road by buying a 6 dollar can of spray paint.

Oh process of painting it.

Step one strip it...obviously

Step two mask off

Step three do a nice coat over all desired surfaces.

Step four...wait 20 mins - half hour

Step five...give yourself another coat on top of your previous.

Step six...let cure for at least a week. Product says its good after 48 hours, however the longer you wait the better in my honest opinion.

You should only need the two coats to get the desired effect. And no, no clear...its not needed with the product, and no primer either...product works specifically without it and is designed to go directly onto metal.

Back