Yes needle and seats were all new OEM because I didn’t want to chase problems after getting the bike running. Even though it was overkill, I put all new genuine Mikuni or OEM parts through out. As some of you have suggested it could’ve been a fluke. I am going to get the things I need to do a fuel level check with the clear tube method.

I bought some new float valves and seats from SUDCO for my '82 650 Seca and they didn't work. I put the old originals in and viola'.
I figured the Mikuni dealer would have OEM stuff. :twocents:

Bob: I wonder if the leak would settle down after a few minutes of running....

Pete
Yes, this has sometimes been my experience.

In fact, today the weather in Central New York allowed me to start up my '74 Kaw F11 Enduro 250 after having done a top end job this winter, as well as a carb rebuild. The single Mikuni VM30SC carb, which has some similar components, produced a leak just like yours, but disappeared after a couple minutes of running. Pleased to report that it ran sweetly.:)

Last edited:
Yes, this has sometimes been my experience.

In fact, today the weather in Central New York allowed me to start up my '74 Kaw F11 Enduro 250 after having done a top end job this winter, as well as a carb rebuild. The single Mikuni VM30SC carb, which has some similar components, produced a leak just like yours, but disappeared after a couple minutes of running. Pleased to report that it ran sweetly.:)

Yeah for all this, I might not find anything at fault. I went ahead and ordered material today for creating the clear tube float level check, so I’ll have that to work with.
That’s good news on your Kawasaki! No hoodlum wheelies in the neighbors yard now!

I know the possible carb related issues have all been brought up by those who have more experience. The only other thing that came to mind is your exhaust. Are you sure there are no restrictions that could potentially be causing a rich fuel mixture? This may sound idiotic, but just trying to leave no stone unturned on your awesome restore project.

compression test?

Went to an auto parts store this morning and checked out their compression tester from their loaner program, a beat up looking thing,
went home and tried it and it didn’t work. Took it back and told the guy behind the counter and he just shrugged and put it back on the shelf for the next guy to discover it was broken.
I then bought a new Bosch brand tester and got my readings.

Readings were taken on a cold engine, carbs off, engine has about 2-3 minutes of total run time from days ago when I first started it.

145 lbs right cyl.
135 lbs left cyl.
Put a squirt of oil in left cyl. And tried again
140 lbs left cyl. after a shot of oil

Went to an auto parts store this morning and checked out their compression tester from their loaner program, a beat up looking thing,
went home and tried it and it didn’t work. Took it back and told the guy behind the counter and he just shrugged and put it back on the shelf for the next guy to discover it was broken.
I then bought a new Bosch brand tester and got my readings.

Readings were taken on a cold engine, carbs off, engine has about 2-3 minutes of total run time from days ago when I first started it.

145 lbs right cyl.
135 lbs left cyl.
Put a squirt of oil in left cyl. And tried again
140 lbs left cyl. after a shot of oil
Sounds good to me.
I predict your numbers will rise significantly as the new rings seat over the first 1000 miles.

I'd be more comfortable if the readings were more equal left to right, but I think it is very early in the life of this rebuild to say much about these numbers.

Last edited:
SInce we have started a conversation about compression testing (we did, didn't we? :)) I will mention that I am on my third tool, a moderately expensive item I bought about 20 years ago. My research at the time aimed me at this tester which I see now has ambiguous manufacturing origins (got it at NAPA, I recall) .

comp.tester 002.JPG

Since that time, I have confirmed it's reliability in providing the same number on repeated testing of the same engine.

In regards to calibration, I've learned that the best procedure to follow, apart from sending it to the manufacturer for an expensive technical calibration, is to test it on a known entity, such as a new motor, which I did about 5 years ago. In fact, I did so on a three engines, and came up with an adjustment figure of 6 pounds (it was reading low) , which I add to any reading I get.

I've often found it's best to fix the obvious problems, and recheck things you have done. It's apparent there is a problem with the needle and seats. Getting to the bottom of that and verifying float height to me is the first thing to do.
I might need to order me a couple new gaskets to replace some homemade ones I did out of some rather thin gasket paper.
I would also get factory made float bowl gaskets. It's one thing to make a clutch cover gasket and another to make a bowl gasket.

In regards to calibration, I've learned that the best procedure to follow, apart from sending it to the manufacturer for an expensive technical calibration, is to test it on a known entity, such as a new motor, which I did about 5 years ago.

Another way to test that gauge would be to remove the vent valve from the bottom then TEE it in to another gauge and connect to shop air. If they both agree then you should be good to go. I always felt the more important test on any multi-cylinder engine is the variation from one cylinder to the next!

Haha! Snipe hunt huh? :laugh2:

I agree, I really think that the problem was occurring in my carburetors. As for the compression check, I wanted to do that anyways, just to see where I’m at. I also figured that the numbers would get better after break in.
When the two cylinders came up 10lbs apart, I thought that I would check my valves again just to be sure I didn’t have one too tight. Both jugs were set right at spec, so I can now look at the carburetors with more confidence.
I have full confidence in my Pamco ignition, new wires, and plug caps.
Now I’m waiting on my clear tube set up and I’ll give them a check. I also spent some time today trying to sand off the clear coat that was ruined on my engine case.

I would also get factory made float bowl gaskets. It's one thing to make a clutch cover gasket and another to make a bowl gasket.

I’ve got good bowl gaskets on them that I bought, I made paper gaskets for under the choke housing, and I’m thinking about just making some fresh ones. I’ve got a roll of good Fel Pro paper, they come out nice actually.

Back