Piston (and ring) oversizes go in .25mm steps on this motor, so the .50mm offering from Cruzinimage is a 2nd oversize set. It's very common to have to skip over the 1st oversize and use the 2nd oversize in order to clean up all the wear or damage. Maybe that's why Cruzinimage doesn't sell the 1st oversize. I thought they also had 4th oversize (1.00mm) at one time.

5Twins,
I looked around on his site and didn’t see anything else. You have a great talent for finding parts , if you see any other options, I’d love to be pointed in that direction.
Thanks

They change/update their listings often. Check them again in a few days. Or maybe you can contact them directly. They may have stuff not listed maybe because it's not a big seller. But, 1st you'll need to determine what size you'll need. Hopefully the 2nd oversize will do. They do have the best piston prices.

When I did my topend many years back, I could have bored it (it was near the max wear limit) but the cost put me off. Mike's was about the only source for pistons back then so boring it would have added near $400 to the rebuild cost.

Agreed - definitely get the parts to a good M/C shop for a measurement before deciding anything...

Agreed - definitely get the parts to a good M/C shop for a measurement before deciding anything...

M/C shop? NO, leave the middle man out of this. He needs a MACHINE SHOP, he'll be there with the info on what's available. The machine shop and him, TOGETHER, will decide what to do.

Scott

Man I’m having a seriously hard time finding a machine shop here. I found one guy Cycle Dynamics who told me that to install a new cylinder , the old one had to be machined out, he said they cannot be pressed out because the factory uses knurled sleeves and the cylinder is cast around it? Hell I don’t know. Does that sound right?
The guys seems to think that any rust can be bored out and fixed with oversized pistons and rings. He was very reluctant for me to come in and get things measured. He tried to get me to just drop everything off with him and he would bore it and he would order the pistons , and he can’t give me any prices because he doesn’t know how long it’ll take.
I’m sure as hell not just leaving my stuff with this guy and giving him a blank check!

I’ve been searching the internet for local machine shops. Places that work on car engines only do car engines, places that do Harley’s only do Harleys.

I even thought about the possibility of sourcing another set of jugs, but from what I’ve read, there are a lot of little differences from the early engines to the later. Differences in the chain tensioners and the head and I don’t even know what else.

I gotta stop for a while. This is ceasing to be fun.

You're obviously going to the wrong place. Go to the oldest retail automotive part supplier in your area and ask them about machine shops. In my area, I would go to Wilson's Autoparts, they have done motorcycle work and even non-vehicle related parts for me. The shop that you need sprung out of the old "Speed Shops" of the 50's and 60's. I can think of three businesses in my area that still provide all of these services.

Scott

If you want new sleeves, you could probably do the oven trick, slip the new ones in and let it cool on something superflat llike a granite slab. Wait til 4g gets back and this is probably a very simple operation. If the sleeves are already the final I.D. you're good to go w/o any machine shop.

Bob, I'll add this here. This is from XS650Direct so Mikes has em.

screenshot_20180615_153236.jpg

Edit: That is Canadian price, $122.96 in USD, a l little better.

Last edited:
yeeeee. New cyl incl. sleeves is much cheaper. Like < $75 on ebay. 2M is prob. an expert on compatibility concerning early motors. Might want to start a new thread on cyl compatibility.

I'm on my phone but that looks like it will bore. fewer piston options 4 256 motors, sleeves all interchange, that shop is bogus. Post on your local CL motorcycle parts 4 sale that you need machine services bet you get several replies

Last edited:
Our local Napa has a machine shop in the area. I have never used them for motorcycle use, but possibly a starting point for other machine shop references. A quick google search shows you have one at 2811 W Thomas Rd, Phoenix, AZ 85017 Phone: (602) 272-5611. Worth a shot.

Our local Napa has a machine shop in the area. I have never used them for motorcycle use, but possibly a starting point for other machine shop references. A quick google search shows you have one at 2811 W Thomas Rd, Phoenix, AZ 85017 Phone: (602) 272-5611. Worth a shot.

Worth a call, my dad was taking engines there for machine work back in the 1960’s!

Absolutely not. Throw that guys number away.
Did you ask Daniel if he has a good sleeve?

Yeah, I’m never goin in that guys shop.
Daniel has two used cylinders, I’m going to go pick them up, maybe Sunday. I’ll try and get some measurements myself.

I doubt the exterior of the old sleeves were knurled and cast in-place Bob. That is a more recent thing and is done to enhance heat transfer in critical engines with cooling problems.

Back