When I cleaned my head a few weeks back, them little wires went everywhere.:yikes: Scrub and blow them parts out 'bout a gazillion times!!

Lookin' good:D

Thanks Jim, will do! I know what you mean. I’ve been picking those wires out of my clothes at the end of everyday.

Wow Bob! Nice work man! They didn't come from the factory looking that good.

Amazingly clean Bob - well done!!

Wow Bob! Nice work man! They didn't come from the factory looking that good.

Thanks guys! I’m going to have Popeye arms like Robin when I’m done!
11D6860A-ECF0-4FEE-8546-32AF83821025.jpeg

You never did give us the full story on your cylinders. I take it you worked some sort of trade/deal with Gary?

You never did give us the full story on your cylinders. I take it you worked some sort of trade/deal with Gary?

Yes exactly. I sent him my original barrel as a core and I purchased from him another XS2 cylinder that had been media blasted, bored .050 over, and a new set of .050 over matching pistons. It was a very generous thing for Gary to do and it allowed me to move forward much more quickly.

Nice photos, i did notice that you like to use the other 650 as a backdrop. That bike also looks great. Now when you put it back together have your wife hide all the orange silicone sealant.

No kidding, lol. I don't know what it is, but some people think just because they have that giant tube of sealer, they need to use the whole thing on one motor, lol. Most of the gasket sealer tubes I have end up going bad, hardening up in the tube, before I ever use it all.

Well this makes me nervous, but I’m putting it out there.

VALVE LAPPING

I’m , not real happy with the results I’m getting here. My valve seats had pretty deep rust pitting. In order to remove the pitting I had to work the lapping compound for a rather long time. Here you can see what the seats looked like prior to starting, and after.
743A43CA-6C4C-4E36-ADA6-D66A31F2EF1D.jpeg

3425A0FA-2445-48CF-A90F-417EE8E2C18F.jpeg

Doing this by hand was taking forever, and my arms were getting tired , so I switched to using my cordless drill.
Low speeds, up and down, reversing often. This was much easier.

The problem is, the rust pitting is pretty deep, and in order to remove it all, I have to go at this lapping for quite a while. And what I’m noticing is, after a while grooves start to develop from the abrasives, and what I believe is happening is, the compound then collects in the grooves. When I try to lap longer to remove the grooves, it only serves to widen the seat and deepen the grooves.

Here are some detail photos.
FD8032FE-FCF5-46D8-93B5-88908F11497F.jpeg

In this photo I stopped lapping the exhaust valve on the bottom before all the pitting was removed. Photo shows the grooves which look like rings going around the valve seats. Note the valves have developed similar grooves, maybe less deep.
5E438AB2-B741-4B3A-B07F-78896091EE04.jpeg

So give me some good news here. Tell me this is salvageable without cutting new seats and buying new valves.
:shrug:

You've worn a pretty good ridge into the valves... (red arrow).

D4A6E9E9-6A67-4310-BB44-574B146DD1A2.jpeg

Only way to take care of that is to re-cut the faces. With fresh faces, you could lap most of the grooves out of the seats.

Back