Making custom exhausts. Flange?

pristic

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Tried searching but couldn't find an answer (might be my searching sucks)
Anyhow, I am going to have a crack at custom exhausts for my bike. Where I'm unsure is the headpipe flange.
On the stock exhausts there is a "ring" at the end. The clamp slides up all the way over the headpipe and them clamps it all down.
Do I reuse the old stock one?
If not what size is it?

A mate of mine builds old school race cars and will help bend and weld etc its just that I get access to his workshop very rarely so need to have all my parts ready.

I'm guessing ill need
Flanges for end of header pipes
1.5" pipe (however much I need)

Can anyone help me to understand this bit please.

Thanks!
Peter

Posted via Mobile

On the set of headers I built I used 1 1/2 inch pipe. Where they mount to the head I cut the stock headers off about three inches from the ring that the finned flange pushes on. I then ground down thw welds that held the outer pipe on the inner. I then measure from the ring back 1 1/2 inches and cut them both the same.
I then wleded the new pipe on where the old outer was welded on. This leaves a bout an inch of the old pipe inside the new to act as an antireversion valve. EPO's as 650central calls them.
This way the new header bolted up the same as stock.
Works very well too. Bike runs great.
Leo

Thanks Leo. I was thinking of cutting my flanges and using them but wasn't sure if there was a collar or something I could use instead.
Ill do that, it's the easiest way I guess.

Posted via Mobile

Back