Master Cylinder

From the start of the front disc brake up to 76 they all used the two piston calipers. In 76 they just moved it to the rear of the fork.
In 77 they changed to the single piston caliper. So any single disc from 77 up the 11 mm M/C will work very well. Give you a much stronger brake with better feel.
The 77 up dual disc, the stock 14 mm M/C will work well. Better feel and stronger.
On the early two piston calipers the stock 16 mm M/C will work with a dual disc set up. The single disc use the 14 mm M/C.
Leo

They match one sold with a perch at dime city cycle but the Knob is rotated 90degrees. Kind of annoying. If anyone finds one please holler.

Be careful, be clean and use the right tools. You need snap ring pliers that have a long reach. The snap ring that holds the piston in is way down in there.
Le

Hello guys, this is my first post. Am rebuilding my brake master cylinder does anyone have any top tips / do / donts Regards to all

I have bought 5 motorcycles. The first thing I did with them was to rip off the master cylinder and the brake lines and replace with new. You can rebuild the caliper to like new condition because it is so simple, but I would not take a chance on the master cylinder. When I squeeze the brake lever, the bike comes to a nice controlled stop. I like that....:bike:

My advice is not to buy cheap Chinese master cylinders. You can't go wrong by getting a brembo or magura. Just make sure you get the right bore size for single or double calipers.

Last edited:
I,ve been fighting with one of those off-brand master cylinders for a couple days now, I was told it was a Yamaha one when I bought it from a member here but thats another story :(.

Looks good but wont push any fluid at all. I tried every method known. No way in hell would I trust my life with a Chinese master cylinder, I rely on my front brake too much.

I have read that some use the MC off a Yamaha Raptor ATV. Anyone using it have experience with it?

FD I agree on front brakes from China (I do have a Chinese rotor on the front of my Shadow:shrug:....) Did you check the second hole in the bottom of the master cylinder reservoir? That second hole should have a very small hole that goes into the piston bore. I have heard of that hole not being drilled through on master cylinders of far eastern construction. I can suggest a drill size if needed. (I would have to gauge an existing master cylinder.)
We "fixed" a members MC this way a while ago.

FD I agree on front brakes from China (I do have a Chinese rotor on the front of my Shadow:shrug:....) Did you check the second hole in the bottom of the master cylinder reservoir? That second hole should have a very small hole that goes into the piston bore. I have heard of that hole not being drilled through on master cylinders of far eastern construction. I can suggest a drill size if needed. (I would have to gauge an existing master cylinder.)
We "fixed" a members MC this way a while ago.

Well it looks like you are correct, There is an indention for another hole but its clearly not there. What size bit ?

I went and measured. That is a very small hole. My smallest number drill is a #60 or .04" or 1.15mm, the hole is smaller than that. I THINK they actually use a larger drill and stop just as the point breaks through into the piston bore???? Anyway if you do the drill it out thing; the master cylinder will need to be completely stripped and the piston bore carefully honed so no sharp edges cut the piston seal as it slides by the hole.

Aside from spotty quality issues I have had good luck and sometimes amazingly fast shipping ordering from Hong /Kong venders. I ordered a borescope and got it inside a week. The US post office and Hong Kong Post office have cooperated in speeding up the process and lowering the cost of small parcel shipping. As a mail man I see a lot of small parcels from the far east.

I got mine very fast.

And I would venture to say that we'er all running the same chinese crap on our japanese bikes. I plan to give it a try. :thumbsup:

Well, I have a lot of products from China, including 2 iPads, an iPhone, a computer, 2 high quality Canon cameras and a bunch of stuff that I bought precisely because of their high quality that were made in China. Perhaps we should think back to when we said the same things about Japanese products, until Honda and Toyota became the two top selling cars in the world because of their very high quality and attention to detail while Detroit was producing crap vehicles. We are kidding ourselves if we continue to talk about Chinese made products in a negative way. Does China make some inferior products? Yes, they do. But I have found that if you shop carefully and don't just go for the cheapest price (Like, $17 for a master cylinder! :laugh:) you will find Chinese made products to be very good, and sometimes the best that is available.

Back