Mechanical advance problems

jhodge

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I've got an 81 that I'm installing a Pamco unit in to replace the TCI. The problem is that when it's all installed, and the nuts on both sides of the advance rod are tightened, the advance rod no longer spins in the cam, and the weights no longer move. What's up?

Thanks,

Jay

Oem rod or a replacement from mikes? I've come across a couple threads stating that mikes rods may not have the correct dimensions causing the nuts to tighten enough to not allow any free space for the rod to turn.

Did you put bearings in the cam?
On the US models with original Yamaha electronic ignition, they are missing!

Yep, I installed the 3 bushings that come with the Mike's XS kit. It is a Mike's advance rod, and it does seem as if it is too short, so that when the Pamco rotor and spring weight cam nuts are tightened, it just snugs up to the head and becomes fixed to, as opposed to rotating in, the cam.

Jay

You might be able to make shims that fit between the flats on the rod and the advance disc and the Pamco rotor.
You can use hole punches to make the shims. Kinda like thin washers, that match the OD of the rod where the advance disc and Pamco rotor set. sets
Leo

Hey Guys,

Just an update on the advance rod problem. I went to a local Yamaha dealer, picked up an OEM advance rod, and no more problem. The Mikes advance rod is definitely too short. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Jay

PAMCO does now offer a new type of advance rod just for the E-Advancer setup on '80 to '83 models. Even though the advance rod does not actually move with the E-Advancer setup, there have been reports of the threaded ends of the aftermarket rod breaking.

FAT%20ROD.jpg

This new style advance rod comes with two longer brass bushings instead of the three or four bushing previously required which reduces the overall cost to $42 for the advance rod, bushings and end nuts. When added to the cost of the complete E-Advancer system of $189.95 + $42 = $231.95. This does not include the coil. However, you can use the stock coil from a TCI system so your total cost for a TCI conversion to the PAMCO E-ADVANCER would be $231.95. Plus, you can then sell your TCI system on EBay to defray some of that expense. Lets say you get $75 to $100 for your TCI. That would make the PAMCO E-Advancer system net cost $156.95 to $131.95.

Check it out on www.yamahaxs650.com

Good insurance you won't get left on road when the 35 year old TCI fails. Age and failing transistors and vibration and moisture are a factor.

Back