messing with magnets and all that. charging plug disconnect

fastfaster

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
been contemplating for weeks now the entire ignition/charging issue. I need to hear a really good explanation of the magnet for the pickup. The rotor becomes magnetized and the pickup magnet must maintain its own magnetic field too. So when the voltage to the rotor is cut, unplugging the stator connector, the pulse coil will read the little magnets field better? Allowing the engine to rev with no magnetics to upset the pickups ability to feel the tiny magnet? The test to show the rotor mags-up is one. The tiny magnet test is what? There were no rare earth mags back in the day,i think not for regular use. Does this heavier gauss from rare earth mags make the pulse coil more responsive to the pickup being able to trigger the pulser? It seems the rotors magnetic field will be very strong and if the tiny magnet cant keep a higher gauss when near the pulser it will not trigger the ignition.!? I have read where all thats been necessary to restore the stock system will be this tiny magnet. If you have installed the rare earth mag yourself with positive results, please enlighten us/me with some tech. How far can the completed install protrude out from the rotor to miss the pickup? Does polarity placement come into play? Is it possible to get it wrong? Seems you would just reverse it but would it then flip like magnets do? Sorry for all of this geeky questioning. Almost like childs play. Messing with magnets and all.

In the upper left corner you'll see.........Google Custom Search.

Type in "rare earth magnet", and you'll get many threads on this topic. Magnets get weak over time so a new one can work wonders.

Back