Method for extracting broken neutral switch asy...

luckynumber0

In Over His Head
Reaction score
Hey guys,

My good buddy overtorqued the neutral switch assembly on his '73:

t83lbIb.jpg

ordinarily extraction for a broken screw would be easy enough...if it were solid. This has got me at a loss for what to do since it's basically thread on thread with no 'meat' to it:

9Pv0yNe.jpg

I was able to get it out a little bit by using some channelocks to expand inside and apply enough pressure to get it to turn, but now it's caught on a burr or thread or something and won't go.

Any ideas on what tools I can use to get this out?

Oh, yeah, that's a delicate situation. Want to avoid getting metal chips in there. Could pack a little grease down in the bottom to catch stuff, q-tip to cleanout when done.

My first attempts would be to try to work the hollow thread left/right turns to try to loosen it up a little more and hopefully clear the chip. Finding something to fit in there and engage the walls without spreading/enlarging that threaded barrel is a challenge. Aside from left/right easy-outs, may need to grind a short tool, like a short screwdriver, or a socketed Torx-40 (or suitable size), producing sharp edges to catch the wall sides.

Failing that, it may be possible to collapse the thin wall, by using a sharp punch, striking it angled at about 45°, catching the top edge, trying to minimize damage to the aluminum...

Back