Miesha: Build thread.

I just wonder how long that motor has been running around with no tension applied to the cam chain, lol. No doubt as long as you've had it, but who knows how long the P.O. ran it that way. With all the botches and P.O. SNAFU's we run across, I guess it's a real testament to how well these bikes were made that any of them are still up and running around, lol.

Fred:
Jeez - a little demanding aren't we? Next thing you know you're going to want me to correctly use "your" and "you're" along with decent punctuation and trying to eat my lunch without most of it ending up in my lap.
Next thing you know we'll all have mustaches and monocles and be slapping each other with white gloves when referring to our XS's by the wrong production code.
Next comes....Aehmn.
What were we talking about again?
Oh yeah ...tomorrow I'm going to look at a 1978 Yamaha XS650 "Standard" with a front wheel made from an aluminum hub, 36 spokes and a 19" outer aluminum wheel.... rim .. something..... and a rear wheel constructed from an aluminum hub, another 36 spokes and an 18" aluminum ring of sorts!
In Miesha-Related news: It looks like my cam chain tensioner spring will actually arrive tomorrow instead of Saturday - hooray for that.
Oh yeah ... .somewhat related: I bought a PAMCO in a moment of weakness? Why do you ask? Well, same reason our wives buy clothes. It was on sale!!!!!!!!!!
Hi Pete,
jolly badinage aside, I'd say your '78 had deep groove aluminum rim wire wheels. Lucky you, they're the XS650's prettiest wheel type.
And the PAMCO? Yes, I noticed t'other Pete's offer. From all the PAMCO-related posts on this list, be effin' sure of the install
procedure and run it from a battery, not a capacitor. It's only a bargain if it works, eh?

I had the same thought about the engine and running with the missing spring (ugh).

I really hope to ride the bike this summer without major teardowns involved.

The 78 likely will need a top end job which I'm comfortable teaching myself, but it ain't gonna be quick.

I got all excited because I got comfortable adjusting the valves and got them dialed in. Then I remembered that you are supposed to adjust the cam chain first. Self-face-slap there.

I have another XS now. A 78 standard. That bike will be lower and get the drag bars and tiny gauges. I decided I liked the tracker bars and larger stock gauges better on this bike since it’s more of a tracker look w/ the dual sport tires and higher stance.

Attachments

• B1A9618B-EFC0-4397-9B04-A9E5EE617B18.jpeg
    B1A9618B-EFC0-4397-9B04-A9E5EE617B18.jpeg
    136.4 KB · Views: 194
Also bought a PAMCO. Because ... well .... it was on sale that’s why! And I have always wanted one.

Left side is mocked up. I can’t get the advance weight to slip on all the way. PamcoPete suggested the stock pin migh need to be filed down just a tad so I’ll be experimenting with that later.

Attachments

• C878F040-2DEB-403C-BEDC-7332878915D8.jpeg
    C878F040-2DEB-403C-BEDC-7332878915D8.jpeg
    218.8 KB · Views: 192
  • 10D679B8-4535-4817-8EF1-55D1F82D2F2C.jpeg
    10D679B8-4535-4817-8EF1-55D1F82D2F2C.jpeg
    149.9 KB · Views: 201
Also bought a PAMCO. Because ... well .... it was on sale that’s why! And I have always wanted one.

Left side is mocked up. I can’t get the advance weight to slip on all the way. PamcoPete suggested the stock pin migh need to be filed down just a tad so I’ll be experimenting with that later.

Yup - if you re-read my Sparking with Lucille thread, that one little pin is about 1/32" or around 0.8 mm too long - which is silly. Grinding it down is NOT all that easy because the pin is small and it is hardened AND it was the only one of the three little pins (one on the LH end of the camshaft and two on the RH end) that was stuck firmly in place into the camshaft. I had to use a grinding disc on my Dremel - but you must be cautious to NOT damage the camshaft end seal.

I cannot understand why PAMCO Pete doesn't simply make the pocket in the rotor deep enough to fit over that pin. Grinding it down is not really the thinking man's way of solving the problem.

That one issue is about the most difficult task in the whole PAMCO installation IMO.

So MaxPete why did you choose to grind your pin instead of adding depth to the notch?

Last edited:
The problem as I see it is the rounded top on the notch. You're basically trying to fit a square peg (pin top) in a round hole (notch). The notch may be deep enough but the rounded top won't let it fit on the pin. I'd be squaring the top of that notch off with a needle file .....

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-piece-needle-file-set-468.html

I happen to have this little file set and it's come in handy many times for little detail filing. Last use was modifying lock wafers .....

St7x339.jpg

The problem as I see it is the rounded top on the notch. You're basically trying to fit a square peg (pin top) in a round hole (notch). The notch may be deep enough but the rounded top won't let it fit on the pin. I'd be squaring the top of that notch off with a needle file .....

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-piece-needle-file-set-468.html

I happen to have this little file set and it's come in handy many times for little detail filing. Last use was modifying lock wafers .....

St7x339.jpg

Yup, I’ve got a set of needle files but the pin on my bike was a fair bit too long (I’d say 0.050” or even more) and the file wasn’t making much progress.

Last edited:
I chose to take a bit off the pin because:
1: Pamcopete suggested it.
2: It seemed a lot easier than messing with the rotor.
3: I have a dremel.

I will say this: That tiny bench vise that my parents bought me when I was .. oh idunno .. 8 years old - that i have held onto all these years, came in extreme handy when holding the pin in place for grinding.

Last edited:
Pamco is in. Wiring is buttoned up. She purrs like a kitten with the pamco and goldwing coil. Went for a ride today. I fet like she was letting me know I can trust her. I think my new taillight is even brighter when directly behind me. I have never seen such a large average distance kept behind me on a ride.

Attachments

• 55474D0A-7B58-49DD-A2F3-2C6F9A1690DE.jpeg
    55474D0A-7B58-49DD-A2F3-2C6F9A1690DE.jpeg
    246.8 KB · Views: 216
So was the "old" coil brand new, included in a Pamco kit from Mikes? Was it bad right out of the box, or did it fail shortly afterward, or, heaven forbid, did you "pooch" it by maybe running with a plug cap off and not grounded?

Do keep us updated on how that Honda coil is working. I do like them and plan on trying one myself. I was searching them from CBR600s, but they usually come up as single units that way. Never thought to look for the 3 packs from a Gold Wing 6. They're quite the bargain that way.

Indeed - and the packaging under an XS650 fuel tank is much neater with the twin secondary output "towers" aligned with the long axis of the coil body....

Back