Mikes Clutch Spring Torque

alfredo

1978 xs650 Special
Reaction score
I installed the clutch springs and allen head bolt kit, but am not sure what the torque should be. Do I just keep tightening until I can't anymore? Clymer just tell me to "install it".

Also, I put it all back together and hooked up the left side cover. I have no bars installed yet but I tried to pull the clutch cable with my hand and damn it was hard to make the clutch move at all. . . . normal?

Factory manual gives a figure - 7 ft lbs, I think, but check it. I just tightened as tight as I could by hand, but they were Phillips heads.

I think it's not in the back, but in the engine rebuild section in a sidebar.

damn it, looked right over it last time i checked.

the factory manual says this:
"when installing the clutch spring bolts, screw them in until they bottom fully (approximately 5 ft/lbs torque)"

thanks! what about the tension . . . does that sound normal? do I just need to hook up a lever for it to be easier?

Yes, just put a lever on and it will be fine. You can't pull just the cable, that's normal. The threaded portion of the clutch screws is 6mm, or just like an M6 screw. They get the standard torque for an M6 screw, 5 - 8 ft/lbs. I wouldn't use the max. I never do on M6 screws or on old bikes going into alloy. I use 80 in/lbs.

There are 6 springs of better than 45 lbs each. thats 270 lbs of pressure. You think that can be pulled by hand!

This is a great tip. I have a lathe, so it was super easy to bore and counterbore the original screws. The hex head makes torquing them so much easier. Thanks. (yes, I know this thread is years old, but wanted to say thanks)

Back