Mikes keihin carb kit

toepfer, check to see if the slides are sticking. That was happening to me and I stretched the slide springs a little and it cured the problem. I also thought about polishing the carb body where the slides make contact but haven't had to go that route yet.

no I don't think they are sticking, I've popped the needles out a few times and have been working on the carbs a bunch, haven't seen them fail to return to the bottom yet.

Mine were only sometimes sticking a couple of mm above where they should seat. Depending on how quickly you close the throttle, the slides might not snap all the way shut and the vacuum from the engine pulling on the slides can also help make them stick just ever so slightly. The only way I knew they were doing that is by running the engine in my garage without filters and when the idle would hang, I would try to physically push the slide down with a screwdriver. If I saw them move at all, I knew they were hanging up just slightly. This could be from friction, a weak spring, cable that's not lubed, or friction in the throttle itself.

I find it strange only because I didn't have the issue before, only after I dropped the clip position (lifted the needle) one step. The bike was running a touch lean before the clip change, but now the bike will just run for miles with my hands in my lap! too rich now?

I find it strange only because I didn't have the issue before, only after I dropped the clip position (lifted the needle) one step. The bike was running a touch lean before the clip change, but now the bike will just run for miles with my hands in my lap! too rich now?

it needs air to run too... so something is either hanging up or you have a wicked vacuum leak. One of my cables pulled out of the 1into2 cable junction after multiple tweaks too.
Also check to make sure the carb end of the cable is seated IN the top of the carb tube, not stuck on the edge of it.
So pop off your filters and physically look and see what's going on. Or for the sake of process elimination take the throttle cable out of where you have it currently routed to your throttle. Just hold it kink free and see how it works then... Pull the throttle end manually and see if it returns properly without the cable run through your frame etc...
Bottom line is the bike won't run fast if the slides are not open.

I bought these carbs, put them on my bike with straight exhaust, start it up and the thing revs so high and does not stop till i turn the keys off. Thought the engine was going to EXPLODE!!! any ideas? anyone have a diagram?

thanks

I bought these carbs, put them on my bike with straight exhaust, start it up and the thing revs so high and does not stop till i turn the keys off. Thought the engine was going to EXPLODE!!! any ideas? anyone have a diagram?

thanks

read through this thread, this is common.. usually its the cables not correct.
with no filters on you need to make sure the slides are all the way down first.
so disconnect the cable from the throttle and make sure. Also screw the chrome cable inlets all the way in on the top of the carb's.

I have read through this section multiple times. My cables are all set and good. Should i connect my vacuum barbs with a single hose?

Hooking the vaccum barbs together is the last thing you do. Have you tried adjusting the idle speed down a bit.

Second set of mikes keihin carb manifolds have now split.
Has anyone else had this problem???????????????????????

Attachments

• PC020527.JPG
    PC020527.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 213
Wally,

I have had the Keihins on my '81 for some time now, and I ride just about every day. I have not had this problem of the rubber carb holders splitting. Is it just a superficial split or is it split all the way through?

I think a JBM Industries carb holders fit. I think the Mike's carbs fit the BS34 holders

Yes XSleo
Last time they broke I orded two sets of the 34 JBM Industries carb holders
thefit fine 7 are great well worth the money

Good thing to know. At least people that have problems with the ones from Mike's have an option.

Wally did they crack all the way through? Did you use the wider SS clamps on both sets?
Pete you used those supplied in the kit right?
Is there no postive catch to the chokes?
Is everyone routing the cable under the backbone, on top or to the side and could that be part of the cable length problems?
How many turns on the idle screw after they touch the slide?

Yes pipe claps on both sets.
Another i know in OZ also has torn manifolds he also used the same claps?????????????
Any longer a would have been torn through (Pica attached from first set)
My cables runs over the head I removed the top engine mount then ran the cable & refitted engine mount works well on the cafe but on the special theres a lot of stuff in the way still have cable hang ups on my special Cable routing on this one needs some more work

Attachments

• PC040533.JPG
    PC040533.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 201
  • PC040534.JPG
    PC040534.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 192
  • Photo0081.jpg
    Photo0081.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 197
  • Photo0082.jpg
    Photo0082.jpg