Mikes keihin carb kit

Hello there,i'm from the Netherlands, and installed the Keihin Kit on my '79 XS 3L1.
Its got the 750 cc xs performance kit.
I noticed too, that the bike responds much better to the throttle, and picks up speed very quickly.
Just one problem, The left bougie is black, the right one brown.So the left one gets to much petrol. How to adjust this?
( when the RPM is in midrange (2500-4000) it doesn't seem to run stable.)

Have you already tried lowering the needle in the slide (moving the clip up)?

Bougie must be spark plug correct me if im wrong.In 1984 the shop i worked in got a Sun 2 gas analyzer .This greatly improved our ability to diagnos problems in fuel and ignition systems Canadian Yamahas came with rivnuts in the exh for the probes we had a tool to install them in other brands

Henkies,
Welcome to the site. You might want to inspet both when you get them out for your basic setting's, like float level and needle setting's. Don't forget to make sure your throttle cable's are also set to pull the same. Area often overlooked, as the setting's change as you route the cable's from the handle bars to the carb's. Look for good sealing of the carb boot's to the head and to the carb's. A vacuum leak would mess up the mixture also. If one is leaner than the other, that could be your problem. The jet's should be the same, but you never know, check the size on them. I am willing the wager it's float level's though.

Yes,Yes, it was the needle, i moved the clip one step up, and it runs like hell now.Two beautiful brown sparkpluggs!
Thanxs

Damn, mikes seems to be out of stock! Ive emailed mikes but gotten no response! I really want some new carbs for my bike and these are such a good price!

Damn, mikes seems to be out of stock! Ive emailed mikes but gotten no response! I really want some new carbs for my bike and these are such a good price!

Mike's in Canada has a few in stock as of a couple days ago. I don't think they ship to the US but if you have a friend in the country that can relay the package to you, then you're set.

i got an email from mikes a couple of days ago and they said probably 2 to 3 months but they did not have a for sure date they would receive more carbs

Yeah I was all ready to order a set last friday and was dissapointed when the cart showed none in stock. Added to the fact that day I noticed the business had been sold and I am a little worried if they will be able to restock them. I went ahead a placed an order for some electrical parts but havent got any kind of shipment confirmation yet. I got confirmation that my money was taken. Got my fingers crossed that the carbs will be available soon..nothing worse then having cash in hand and wanting to buy something they advertise.

So, is the jury still out on these:confused:
are they just Chinese copies?
Do they just replace the problems of the originals with new, different ones? Or are they worth it ( maybe use decent holders?)
By the way they are 325 euros over here, thats nearly $450 :yikes:
sorry for all the questions guys but I was quite keen when I first started reading but not so sure now :banghead:

a few of us o the chopper underground site got together and had 8 sets deal from mikes last month. i still have 3 sets. one for my monoshock bike and two for the twin motor drag-bobber i am building. may not get around for a while on the drag twin motor bike so i maybe could let a couple sets go. i figure they are going to go up in price when the new owners of mikesxs get more in stock because of demand for them so i wont let them go for under 400 a set. i have them on my sons bike and i am very happy with the set.

Attachments

• toxxic bobber new 2x2 intake 9.JPG
    toxxic bobber new 2x2 intake 9.JPG
    271.8 KB · Views: 172
  • toxxic bobber with 2x2 intake 5.JPG
    toxxic bobber with 2x2 intake 5.JPG
    251.2 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
So, is the jury still out on these:confused:
are they just Chinese copies?
Do they just replace the problems of the originals with new, different ones? Or are they worth it ( maybe use decent holders?)
By the way they are 325 euros over here, thats nearly $450 :yikes:
sorry for all the questions guys but I was quite keen when I first started reading but not so sure now :banghead:

I'm convinced they are knock-offs but I don't regret buying them. They are still a decent carb for a decent price. I had jetting issues but I'm thinking that is due to my cam and exhaust, others have had good luck with them right out of the box. They are easy to work on, parts are available, and it was actually pretty easy to get them dialed in. I had similar jetting issues with the stock carbs that I was never able to iron out.

If your choice is between these and the stock carbs, then I would definitely go with these.

I am curious how they would compare to the tried and true VM34's?

I'm convinced they are knock-offs but I don't regret buying them. They are still a decent carb for a decent price. I had jetting issues but I'm thinking that is due to my cam and exhaust, others have had good luck with them right out of the box. They are easy to work on, parts are available, and it was actually pretty easy to get them dialed in. I had similar jetting issues with the stock carbs that I was never able to iron out.

If your choice is between these and the stock carbs, then I would definitely go with these.

I am curious how they would compare to the tried and true VM34's?

So, mrriggs, you are saying that Mike, or anybody for that matter, would post knockoffs for sale on a prominent web site that is viewed all over the world, in the same market as the manufacturer, sell the knockoffs complete with the manufacturer's name and logo, do this for a year, and the manufacturer would not put a stop to it? In addition to offering the knockoffs, this person would also offer a complete line of replacement parts? And, Mike, or anybody for that matter, would also invoke the name of a well known and respected European motorcycle Guru, and that person would also not object?
I think that you have been standing too close to your ignition system and inhaled too much ozone! So, what's your agenda here? Mikes gone, so you must be targeting the new owners for some reason.

I'm not impressed with the new owners so far. In the past if I placed my order in the AM my order was shipped the same day. Placed an order on monday and still no shipping confirmation.

Posted via Mobile

grinder,

Well, Mikes inventory includes 1,600 items. They are moving to a new location. They are upgrading their server with a new one. There are signs of progress in these efforts as I mentioned yesterday, the PAMCO kits are now shown to be in stock. Not that that is the only thing that I am interested in at Mikes, but the PAMCO kits are a mixture of several stock items and it all has to be carefully listed in their data base, so that alone has taken a while to accomplish.

I guess I have to wait. Kind of bad timing for the move as people are trying to ready their bikes for the riding season.

So, mrriggs, you are saying that Mike, or anybody for that matter, would post knockoffs for sale on a prominent web site that is viewed all over the world, in the same market as the manufacturer, sell the knockoffs complete with the manufacturer's name and logo, do this for a year, and the manufacturer would not put a stop to it? In addition to offering the knockoffs, this person would also offer a complete line of replacement parts? And, Mike, or anybody for that matter, would also invoke the name of a well known and respected European motorcycle Guru, and that person would also not object?
I think that you have been standing too close to your ignition system and inhaled too much ozone! So, what's your agenda here? Mikes gone, so you must be targeting the new owners for some reason.

Pete, I realize that you are in business with Mike's but you shouldn't take it so personally any time you read a criticism. I'm not targeting anybody here. Perhaps you should read that again, I was endorsing this product.

When I say they are knock-offs, I mean that they are of the lesser quality Chinese variety. How else could Mike's sell them, and the parts, for so much less than a distributor of genuine Keihin parts like Sudco? They may in fact be licensed by Keihin to have the name on them, but that doesn't mean that they were made by Keihin. Hell, I just got a poorly made [in China] tool for Christmas that says "Snap-on" on it.

It doesn't really matter where these "Keihins" are made. They are a decent carb for a decent price.

Back