Mikes wiring harness?

itsatoy

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
edit: tail light and tach are sorted, new question on post #10

So I'm in the middle of putting on the stock wiring harness from MikesXS on my 650SH. It seems like the connector for the tail/brake light might be reversed. Just wanted to consult before I started pulling the connector apart.

Attachments

• IMG_3740.jpg
    IMG_3740.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Thanks Gary, i'll redo that end it could be cleaned up anyway. So if I swap the blue and black do I need to worry about any of them being reversed top to bottom?

Cool, thats the diagram I have been using. I should have thought about it before asking the follow up.

Thanks again Gary.

An interesting note is that Yamaha felt no "need" to show the wires entering the connector in their physical location.

Ok, here's another one for you. Apparently a PO swapped in an older set of gauges and for some reason soldered the pair for the neutral light to the meter light. :confused: So my plan is to desolder that pair and hook them to the light blue/ brown wires from the pilot box connector and delete the pilot box. So does anyone know which goes to the brown and which goes to the light blue? Also does anything in the pilot box connector need to be jumpered?

Attachments

• IMG_3743.jpg
    IMG_3743.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 62
Generally in a situation where a replacement harness is used, either Mike's or home made I like to wire the harness to match the item I'm installing.
In this situation where you are hooking the stock tail light to Mike's harness rearrange the wires in the harness side of the plug.
Doing it this way if you replace the part with another stock part you just plug and play. You won't have to rearrange the items wires to match the harness a second time.
In your pilot box the brown wire feeds power to the neutral light, the sky blue wire goes down to the neutral switch. Where the switch grounds the sky blue wire to light the light.
Where your PO did the soldering , unsoldering it is a good start. There is a blue wire that comes from the harness to power the meter lights. Use this to power your meter lights.
Leo

Thanks XSLeo, that makes sense to me but I already rearranged the tail light end since it seemed from Gary's picture that at least some of the stock tail lights were wired the same as the new harness. Also, I didn't want to mess with the new clean connector when the old one could use some help anyway.

Ok tail light and tach are sorted next on the list the speedo meter light. I have no power on the blue wire going to the speedo but there is power on the blue wire going to the tach. I have power on the white/green wire that is supposed to be going from the reed switch to the flasher canceling unit. Another wire switched in mikes harness? :confused:

edit: This part is making me crazy. So I went ahead and swapped the blue and white/green in the harness end. Now i have voltage at the light socket. I switched the bulb with the high beam indicator and both bulbs work. I read voltage at the high beam indicator socket same as the speedo meter light. WTF??

Last edited:
OK never mind, I got it working by removing all the contacts from the harness side plug and just inserting them into the speedo plug individually. The contacts weren't getting bent up but something wasn't making good contact inside the plug for some reason.

Back