mikes xs cush spring kit issues..

blackapache

blind leading the blind
Reaction score
hey guys Ive just replaced the cush springs with mikes ones, all good there got them in thanks to Pat D and his little tutorial ... little problem though the nuts on the back of the 3 new allen head bolts are making the slightest contact with the cases as they turn.

can anyone tell me is this standard? i hit the tops with a dremel thinking it was just the bolt tips - i recessed them flush with the nuts but that didnt help..

i went through the washer stacking sequence for the clutch install as shown in iamcarbons thread and i have one irregular washer... the first washer that sits against the bearing. its still a 1mm washer though so its the right thickness, it does seat into the bearing face slightly though and this might be contributing? i switched it for a 2mm spec washer but still had some contact as shown in the pictures.. if i shim it too much ill have issues elsewhere im guessing...when i pulled the sidecover there are grooves on the internal side where the clutch boss or something had been making serious contact with the inside of the side cover, plus it had literally NO clutch. the PO had spent over 6K on it before i snapped it up from him, (for a lot less than that) it had a new set of plates and heavy duty springs etc but broken cush springs still :doh:. It was a local honda dealer that worked on the bike for him.. its the worst work Ive ever seen in my life. they "refurbished" most of the bike apaparently but there were screws missing from float bowls, footpegs, engine cases etc etc, im still finding issues which is why i pulled it down all the way to the crank. Its also why i suspect the guy sold it to me for half the repair bill the week after it was finished at the dealers and bought himself a new sportster instead. :laugh:

anyways the nuts on the allen head bolts are pretty slim to begin with so im not keen on grinding those too much..

if anyone who's done the install could chime in id appreciate it a bunch.

IMG_4814.jpg

IMG_4816.jpg

IMG_4818.jpg

Screen Shot 2015-05-14 at 8.45.29 pm.jpg

I has that problem with mine. It barely hitting the cases. I didn't use mikes kit though. I just hit the part on the cases with the Dremel and stone. Worked for me. But it was a hair that came off.

I has that problem with mine. It barely hitting the cases. I didn't use mikes kit though. I just hit the part on the cases with the Dremel and stone. Worked for me. But it was a hair that came off.

ok thanks for that mate, i might have to go down that path, i was checking my parts too and I think Ive used an 81 gear drive as it was almost brand new.. i measured it up against the original 76' gear and they seem identical in height etc so i dont think thats the issue but i could be wrong... does anyone know the difference between the mid and late year clutches, are the differences only in the inner hub or is it a different gear drive also?

According to the parts diagram the same outer hub (primary driven gear) was used from 1970 through the end of production.

There's strong urging, either in the repair manuals or the service bulletins, that the primary drive gears precisely align. When fitting the basket, inspect the alignment to the crank's primary drive gear, and make sure that the 2 gears are exactly lined-up, no overhangs or non-flush alignments...

There's strong urging, either in the repair manuals or the service bulletins, that the primary drive gears precisely align. When fitting the basket, inspect the alignment to the crank's primary drive gear, and make sure that the 2 gears are exactly lined-up, no overhangs or non-flush alignments...

thanks toomany, i'll go inspect it now. I was looking at the xscafe assembly diagrams and i think Im pretty well right parts wise, it looks like it could just be the points of the nuts that are touching, i'll try rotating the nut so the flat side is at the widest point then if still no luck i'll try and jst knock the tips down.. i wanna make sure its right... the grinding marks on the inside of the side cover from the PO are giving me nightmares..:eek:

Back