Mikes XS starter gear

luckynumber0

In Over His Head
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I'm in the middle of my overhaul and while my bike actually starts fine with the electric starter, it makes a dreaded racket. So in my shopping list from Mike's was the starter repair kit.

It doesn't look good. The quality of the thing seems to be pretty shitty. I know the OEM clip works better (I've read and re-read the fix on here), and I have no problem tensioning that, but I was wondering if it was worth it to actually replace my factory starter gear with this seemingly shitty part. Not to mention that it mates way better with the bendix and crank teeth - the mike's one seems to 'stick' and doesn't glide into the gears like the factory one does.

Is there any reason to replace it or just tension the OEM clip on the factory gear and try and return the part? I feel like it will actually damage the gearing it contacts with!

As long as the original gear isn't worn away too badly, I would re-use it.

This is one of the items Mike's sells that isn't needed as often as they get bought.
If the gear you have has at least 1/2 the teeth left it is fine. Most are a bit rounded off when new, this helps them engage easier.
Most get worn from a weak battery as much as anything. The weak battery doesn't spin the shaft fast enough to get the gear to slide fast enough to engage before the shaft reaches full speed. This just grinds the gear.
Most starter noise is best fixed by squeezing the clip spring tighter.
Leo

Back