MikesXS 2 into 1 Exhaust

pamcopete

Ride.Enjoy.Life is Simple
Reaction score
A friend of mine asked me to help him with the installation of MikesXS 2 into 1 exhaust system Part #07-0767 so i decided to make a couple of videos and pics in case someone else wanted to see how it's done.

Here is the kit and the muffler, XS Performance Reverse Cone Megaphone Muffler Part #07-0112 the header on the left goes on the left side and the header on the right goes on the right:

Start by replacing the gaskets.

Then, install the headers:

Snug up the header nuts on the studs but do not tighten completely. You want to leave some movement for the final adjustment of the collector to the head pipes.

Next, take a look at the collector:

The little welded on brace goes to the inside toward the frame. The clamp goes on the lower outside.

Attach the collector, but just leave it loose at this time. Do not tighten the clamp.

Now, attach the muffler.

This installation is on a 1983 Special and we found that the long straight hanger that comes with the muffler does not work with this frame. Instead, we used a short "Z" shaped hanger from MikesXS, part number 07-0201.

07-0201.jpg

We also extended the piece with the threaded holes that now comes with the muffler beyond the end of the bracket, then installed another bolt to hold it in place.

hanger2.jpg

Again, do not tighten the muffler clamp or hanger bolts. Leave everything loose so you can adjust the whole assembly to provide clearance for the brake lever. When adjusting everything for clearance for the brake lever, be careful that you do not end up with the headers tilted from being perpendicular to the head. Just take your time and move things around for the results as shown. When we finished, there was no twisting or bending and the headers were perpendicular to the heads and there was adequate clearance for the brake lever. When you do tighten the header nuts, use a torque wrench. The nuts are only torqued to 10 Ft. Pounds despite their size due to the expansion when they get hot.

Here is a picture of the collector after final assembly and with every thing tightened up. Notice that the bottom of the collector is angled to wards the bike and that there is adequate clearance with the brake lever.

good clearance.jpg

Pete- did you guys use any type of sealer at the joints? I have a neighbor who has said the hd guys would put black rtv at the joints to aid in assembly and sealing. I would like to hear it...

Pete,
Now that you've dealt with this set up in person, what's your feeling about ground clearance issues on right hand turns?

DLD1

pumps,

We did not use any kind of sealer. I have tried Permatex muffler sealer in a different installation, but the stuff sets so fast that it gets in the way of adjusting the joints for proper fit.

In my previous installation of EMGO Dunstall replicas using an adapter to hook up to the inner pipe of stock headers with no clamp, I found that the small leaks cured themselves just with accumulated carbon build up.

If you just take your time and leave every thing loose, you can get it all to line up without any leaks. I think that most leaks are a result of not lining up the pipe joints and header flanges correctly, hence my note about making sure that the header pipe is perpendicular to the head. Gentle persuasion works.

Pete,
Now that you've dealt with this set up in person, what's your feeling about ground clearance issues on right hand turns?

DLD1

Well, this was my riding buddies bike, so I have not ridden it. He was a dirt track rider back in the day, so I will ask him, but the center stand would probably contact the ground first. You can see by the angle of the collector that when properly installed, there is some clearance.

Pete,
Another question. What did you do about the center stand losing it's up stop on the left side of the bike? I noticed when I removed my stock exhaust that it kind of free floats in the up postion.

DLD1

Pete,
Another question. What did you do about the center stand losing it's up stop on the left side of the bike? I noticed when I removed my stock exhaust that it kind of free floats in the up postion.

DLD1

Well, if you look carefully at the last picture, you can see the center stand snubber peeking out on the right side. It was actually installed backwards when the picture was taken.

Now, this is a '83 model and the center stand snubber installs differently, but on my '78/E model with the 2 into 1 Kerker exhaust under the engine, I fabbed a bracket for the left side.

I've ridden around 2k miles in New England, never touching down with the system. I suspect those who have installed the system incorrectly. I would worry about discoloration before clearance issues. It will discolor if you pants touch it while hot.

I have these pipes with a supertrapp megaphone, sounds and looks great. For a short time I had the Mac 2-into-1 installed and I hated it. Besides being too quiet, the Mac sounded tinny and would drag around corners. I've had no problems with the Mikes 2-into-1 dragging.

5075801380_30c5e09c14.jpg

Nice vids. Looked very good. Hows the fit around the right side cover? Enough room for oil cooler fittings in the cover? Your pics don't show that very well.

XSLeo,

Boy, this is a tough crowd! The bottom oil passage is 1 1/4" clear of the pipe and the pipes do not interfere at all with the upper oil passage. The oil cooler that I have on my '81/H uses just one of these passages with the return line going to the side cover on the filter.

cooler2.jpg

cooler3.jpg

Note: Just for illustration purposes. This is not the bike that has the 2 into 1 setup.

Pete, not try ing to be tough. I just have questions. Your friends bike looks good, those pipes look good on there.
I have a set of Mike's 1.5 " headpipes and my sidecover with the oil cooler fittings won't work. The pipes are bent wrong. I was just wondering if that set you put on your friends bike has room for them.
I had to put on a plain sidecover. Even with adding the parts I cut off an old set of pipes didn't move them enough.
Only about 1/4 inch between the cover and the pipe.
They work good, and the new mufflers sound good just can't fit the oil cooler.
I guess I'll build a set.

i bought this exhaust recently had the problem of the brake hitting the exhaust.
went and bought the tc bros forward controls but now I'm afraid the tc bros kit won't fit with the2-1 exhaust.
Any one have experience with this? someone with the 2-1 mounted know for certain whether or not the forward controls will fit? my concern is the break pivot

i bought this exhaust recently had the problem of the brake hitting the exhaust.
went and bought the tc bros forward controls but now I'm afraid the tc bros kit won't fit with the2-1 exhaust.
Any one have experience with this? someone with the 2-1 mounted know for certain whether or not the forward controls will fit? my concern is the break pivot

Had the same problem on 2 bikes here in the shop lately. Ditched the Mikes Setup and went with the Mac just for that reason. Can't really tell a difference in power :doh:

I had that system on my race bike and the ground clearance on the right side was not good at all.The mounting bolt on the Y adapter was grounded after few deep right turns around the racetrack.The Y mounting bolt housing was then grounded too till the lower pipe started to scrape the pavement.I guess the system will be ok for moderated speed around the turns on the street.Soon or later you will grind the hell out the lower exhaust if you really lean the bike around the turns.Carefull.Not fun when the rear wheel gets lifted by an hard scraping exhaust.And yes the system was installed correctly.poor design in my opinionTake a good look at the 2 lower pipes.The Xs frame is already low to the ground and now you are adding another pipe below.You are reducing the ground clearance more then 1 1/2.Not a good idea but hey it looks good.

Last edited:
...my '78/E model with the 2 into 1 Kerker exhaust under the engine,..
Hey Pete,
Sorry to resurrect an older thread, but do you have any pictures of your Kerker system? I've been trying to find an exhaust system from the '80's (I think it was an Alphabets system, but it could also have been a Kerker or Hooker) that looked like TT pipes but then merged 2 into 1 under the motor and exited out the right side.
Mac offers the 804-0103 which is somewhat similar, but the headpipes lack the authentic TT -look.
s-l400.jpg

Many thanks in advance...

Back