mikesxs, 750 kit, anygood?

lundyxs

XS650 Member
Reaction score
yea can i have some feedback on the product, gunna jazz up my xs, previously put a wiseco kit in a bonny, wanna know if mikes bolt on kit is anygood.

Mine's got it, can't complain, esp. going up hills, no need to take the old girl out of 5th...

I.

hi theres a few guys in australia with mikesxs 750 kits ... they recton they are great... they are designed and made by heiden ,, { sorry for spelling} and if you look at it closely it got better oil delivery inside ,, plus far better cooling fins regards oldbiker .....ps... they are on my wish list ,,, lov it bolt on performance .....

Yes, just bolt on and go. And I mean GO!. Just the 750 adds 10-12% more GO! I also found the vibes above 4000 rpm are greatly reduced. No real increase in vibes. Feels the same at 3000 rpm as 6500 rpm.
You can build your own 750 kit by getting different pistons and sleeves from other bikes. Pulling sleeves, boring, reinstalling sleeves and pistons. Lots of work. I'm lazy, The kit is much easier.
I like the big fins too.

It's recommended to weld your crank though, keep that in mind alot of guys don't do it but you probably should. Get a hold of punkskalar/Hugh or mike morse over at 650 central he should know. He recommended it to me.

I thought the crank weld was only need when rephasing? This kits been around for a long time and doing it the old fashion way(pistons, boring)even longer and they dont recommend it. I think as long as your not going out and over revving, doing excessive burnouts, or setting up it for pure badass performance. I think this was addressed here or over at central and it was said you probably wouldn't need it even with the kit and a mild cam upgrade it was only when you go all out hotter cam, 750 kit, and riding it like you stole it. Lets here from a couple more people on this something I would really like understand more myself. I big bore kits on everydirt bike I've owned crf50 with a big bore kit, my girl crf150, my cr 125, and my last crf250(man I need another dirtbike:() Never had to have a crank welded for those apps. I know Amature motorcrossers that did but again they were pushing them to the limits. If I'm wrong educate me please don't castrate.

im new to the world of xs's but not long ago put a big bore kit an 02 bonny and we havnt had any problems yet, touch wood.

Welding the crank might help if you ride the bike hard. I think it will hold up fine if you ride it easy. Stay under the 7500 redline is a biggie. The 750 pulls hard well past redline

I agree with ratfinkd1, i thought the welding was needed for rephase engine... that said i don't now if my rephased crank has been welded, but i rarely push the bike over 6000rpm anyway, has so much low-down torque.

I.

Well, 10 years later, here's my 2 cents. Yes. Very good. Just bolt-on. You do need to check the ring gaps though. I had to slightly grind 3 of the rings. I mildly ported the head before installing the kit and had the valves done at a local speed shop. The cam is stock from a 75, so it's the mild cam. I didn't built it for all out balls, I built it for reliability and longevity. With stock BS 38 carbs, I experimented by changing all the jets, but finally settled on just one step up on the main jet. I use the stock air boxes with foam filters, also.

My 72 was very tired with about 65K miles, so the difference was night and day. Loads of torque throughout the entire rpm range. Don't have to downshift much, even for passing. The larger fins help with cooling and make the engine look beefier.

I have about 12K miles on the kit and it is still running strong. Yes, it's worth it.

Back