MikesXS Overdrive

IowaBoy

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever had a problem installing the overdrive? Attempting to put one in an 1982 engine. After taking the stock gear off, the new gear will not fit on the shaft. Has anyone ever had a problem with this?:banghead:

I'll let you know how mine goes in my '80...after Mikes/USPS gets it to me that is..

Well, the center of the gear is a half millimeter to small. MikesXs wants me to pay to ship the gear back, they will issue a refund then I just need to reorder the part. they refuse to give me a credit of any sort to cover the shipping of the gear back to them or the shipping of a new gear to my house. I totally wish someone else would make an overdrive!!!! I have heard horror stories about mikesxs, I hope they arent all true but I am amazed they wont atleast cover the shipping of the gear back to them or the shipping of the new gear to me. $33 in shipping altogether for a something I had no control of. Hughs Handbuilt is going to look at the gear for me and see if it can be machined to make it work. Hugh, I am glad to have you as a friend!!!!

I have received a 5th OD gear from mikes last week as part of a larger order.
The finish on the face of the gear teeth is not the best, I am seriously considering leaving it out of my engine.
35K is a lot of riding though....

The original 5th is already a slight overdrive. Not as much so as the Mike's I guess.

No trouble with mine either - but Ive experience enough "MikesXS" issues I buy elsewhere unless I have no choice.

My last order I paid for 2nd day air.....took 5 days.

If its reassuring Im sure Mikes doesnt actually make those gears.....if they did they'd probably come out square.....lol.

I have the same problem. Mikes overdrive gear is a about a .5 millimeter to small to fit over the shaft. Can I take it to a machine shops and have it turned down. Is this possilbe, are they hardened?

I am sure a machine shop can take care of it. I am glad that Hugh is a friend of mine, I was able to send it to him, he was going to look at it and determine what the best route is. It will be a bit before a solution is in sight since his shop flooded and needs to rebuild. C-los I will let you know what he decides to do with it.

Wow awesome, Got my box of shit from Mikesxs yesterday, got a 5th gear overdrive from them happy to put it on this morning and same thing!!! Argggg im soo pissed right now, emailed mikes and not expecting much. Shipping my crank and cam to Hugh monday hoping I can send him the gear also. :banghead:

The best solution between you and Mikes is to call your credit card company. The bank that owns the card has the ability to cover your ass whereas Mike's isn't doing that. And BTW, many of the parts available at Mike's can be gotten from http://www.650central.com/ and you have someone on the other end of the line that actually knows what he's talking about.

Thanks Pete's, have ordered quite a few times from Morris "awesome guy" but in this case he didn't have what I needed and I just bit my lip and ordered from mikesxs yea I learned the hard way again! :shrug:

I am the type of guy if I get burnt once from somebody I will go out of my way to not have to do business with them again. Doesnt matter the cost difference. That is the one thing I have ordered from Mikes, and it will be the last unless i do another 5th gear sometime,and then I will still try and source it somewhere else.

I just had a look at Jerry Heiden's website. He states that the overdrive only fits 78 and onward. So maybe some of you have earlier engines, or a gear cluster from an earlier engine in your new engines. Just a thought.....

After working for the largest diesel performance internet company for many years i've learned that not all wrong parts can be covered. If the product is under Mikes name then they shoudl take care of all the charges. If it's another companies product then it's out of Mikes control and they should have the manufacture take care of it.

If they were to cover the charges everytime there was an issue with a manufacturers product i'm they would be out of business.

NOW, if they don't explain any of this to you and just refuse to cover the costs then that's bad customer service on their part.

I had a machine shop remove 5/1000th off. I did a 5th overdrive swap on a different build and it fit fine. Not sure what is going on the latest batch of gears and I didn't want to deal with shipping going back and forth. The machinist did say it was pretty tough material though.

Mikesxs has continued to sell many parts that are poorly manufactured expecting the customer to eat the bad part. Mikesxs will refund your money if the part is shipped back but we all know shipping can be expensive.

Really a shame but these must be a new batch of parts made in China. The quality control failed and now mikesxs has a ton of wrongly machined gears. Mikesxs may or may not get satisfaction from the manufacturer but eventually mikesxs will need to recognise the problem. These gears are an exclusive and very cool part to have for an XS so I hope someone can bop the factory on the nose and get another batch made.

Tom

Back