mini gauges

2;1 ratio......little chrome one from mikes broke after 90mph....or it broke after bump n road at 90mph.....wich ever it did work great till then

Dime City Cycles, best way to go. If you're buying them both you'll save about $18 off the face price, and another $7 off the shipping compared to Mikes XS prices. Plus you will likely get them in 5 days or so like I did, They have them in chrome or black case and white or black faces. They also have a slick little laser cut aluminum bracket to hold them both close together and tight to the triple tree top and you won even see the bracket. Its precisely made for the XS650 so its bolt and go, they also have another bracket that works and is slightly smaller

Chrome Case & Black Face Speedo - http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vinta...ack-face-led-speedo-speedometer-15-0032b.html

Black Case & Black Face Speedo - http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vinta...ack-face-led-speedo-speedometer-25-7032b.html

Those are just a few i grabbed fast to show you, the black on black is what I have. They will help you out with the ratio, and they have many more to choose from.

XS Bracket http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vinta...num-dash-dual-mini-gauge-kit-lgc-xsgauge.html

Smaller Bracket ( I used this and it was also a perfect XS fit) - http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vinta...ee-dual-mini-gauge-mount-console-12-2140.html

Smaller bracket is almost invisible when its all mounted

Last edited:
hey t3chnic, what year XS did you bolt up that Dime City smaller bracket to? The spacing is wrong for my stock '77 and I'm SALTY as hell about it. I can return it but... WAITING SUCKSSS

Gauges look good though. Rubber washers all around to keep them from vibrating to bits?

i have the same type of question. i have an 81XS650 SII. will both toughs brakets bold on to the bike? i have a stock tripple tree for the 81.

also..Im looking into mini gauges as well but have 1 question. when i find the gauges i want how do you set up the electrical part? the stock gauges have a plastic "plug" that the wires lead into and hook up to the bikes wiring. the aftermarket gauges dont have that? how do you wire them up?
Thank you!

Fiveohindc I'm not sure why it didn't fit on yours, it did on my 75 650B. My only guess is the bracket is different somehow, because I know the triples were not. However since then I've changed triples in my build and fabricated my own bracket out of aluminum to hold them so I have the second bracket as an extra part (I would sell it if someone wants it http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintag...e-12-2140.html
).
Nickyd, the gauges come with a little wiring diagram from DCC, if you got it elsewhere it may not have so here (Photo also)
Speedo
Orange (+) and Black (-) = Back Light

Blue (+) and Blue/Black (-) = Hi Beam

Yellow (+) and Yellow/Black = Blinkers

Red (+) and Red/Black (-) = Oil

Green (+) and Green/Black = Neutral

Tach Red is power in, black is ground simple as that.

I am currently doing all the wiring on my bike and just finished thinning my harness, routing wires, and adding a fuse block. I just re did my gauges. I combined all my grounds, and I used one of these guys (http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...ce=CAT&znt_medium=RSCOM&znt_content=CT2032231) male and female to re-create the plug on my harness and on the gauge side. Combined all the grounds from the gauge(s) into one slot, the power to both in another, and then the lights go their own obviously.

However it does not have a light for brake lights or headlight failure as before so I'm planning to replicate that with two of these (http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...ce=CAT&znt_medium=RSCOM&znt_content=CT2032233)

Attachments

• Gauge Wiring.png
    Gauge Wiring.png
    296.9 KB · Views: 346
Ok great thx for the help! So would I splice the vague wires to the original existing XS wires in the headlight case? I know there's a plug/ connector in there for the existing gauges.

I couldn't tell you in all honesty what to do with the existing gauge stuff, mine harness was missing all the connectors on the front half when I got my bike, and I didn't even have a left control so how it all looked originally is a mystery to me, I am just working from diagrams and creating the connections that need to be made.

Thx for the help guys. What is your preference, between the 1.9inch vs the 2.5inch gauges? As far as is one easier to bolt up or wire? And which do you guys like the look of better? It will be on a stock 81 triple tree

Ok, this will probably sound strange considering your thoughts on "glue". Fuck glue, it's rigid and will crack and look like shit, on that part you're correct. Better alternative, walk into Home Depot or Ace, and find yourself some Clear Silicone Aquarium adhesive. It dries clear, is rubberized so it will cushion, stop the rattle if you get a little in between, and it will move with vibration so it won't crack. The stuff can hold the pressure of 250 gallons of water on a seam, I suggested this to a friend for his non XS build last summer and it worked out beautifully. If you do this on the underside of the bracket you might never even see it, offering an out of sight solution. Best of all, if you decide it sucks, it comes off with a gentle stripper.

I saw a set up with the LGC bracket where they used two clamps on the underside of the plate (around each gauge body)... the round type, like a t-bolt you would use in plumbing I guess? It looked just OKAY, I'm sure it was subject to vibration, etc, and not sure how it weathered. From the top, though, you couldn't tell.

That's why I didn't get the LGC bracket but went for the DCC one instead. And it does NOT fit the triple of my '77D. (at least not in its current incarnation anyway)...

Ok, this will probably sound strange considering your thoughts on "glue". Fuck glue, it's rigid and will crack and look like shit, on that part you're correct. Better alternative, walk into Home Depot or Ace, and find yourself some Clear Silicone Aquarium adhesive. It dries clear, is rubberized so it will cushion, stop the rattle if you get a little in between, and it will move with vibration so it won't crack. The stuff can hold the pressure of 250 gallons of water on a seam, I suggested this to a friend for his non XS build last summer and it worked out beautifully. If you do this on the underside of the bracket you might never even see it, offering an out of sight solution. Best of all, if you decide it sucks, it comes off with a gentle stripper.

Silicone is a good idea, if it will adhere to the chrome. I don't see why it wouldn't though since it's intended for glass.

I'll def give it a try, my other idea was to drill holes in the gauge housings and fit them with allen screws just below the bracket. I'm afraid of drilling too deep and wrecking shit however.

Long ago, I put a 2" VDO on my panhead. Kept squinting to see it. Hold a 2" circle out at arms length, jiggle it, can you see it? If you're cafe with your face in the handle bar clamps, might help...

Long ago, I put a 2" VDO on my panhead. Kept squinting to see it. Hold a 2" circle out at arms length, jiggle it, can you see it? If you're cafe with your face in the handle bar clamps, might help...
Thats a great point. I will be on a Cafe racer with my "face in the the handle bar clamps" so hopefully they'll be legible.

Back