Minton Mod on front forks

One of the biggest benefits of the Minton Mods is they make the forks much more supple and responsive to all the little bumps encountered in normal day to day riding. The stock forks worked OK on the big bumps but not so well on the little stuff. They would jolt you through the bars instead of soaking them up.

Also, doing the Minton mods won't stop you from adding the emulators in the future if you want to. You'll just need to go back in and drill the damper rod holes even bigger.

As far as road racing goes, my experience is there can be quite a few bumps and ripples on some tracks and the XS forks have a tendency to chatter entering corners since it has so much rear ward weight bias. I did have much stronger springs in my racer but unmodified damper rods and 10w30 motor oil. Modified damper rods might have very well helped.

7 ounces. Stock amount is just under 6 ounces but these forks just plain work better with a little more oil in them. It helps reduce the dive on braking quite a bit.

For the metric amongst us, myself included, Ive looked up conversion scale and 7 fluid ounces Imperial is 198.8mls, ..7fl oz US =207mls.
Is this forum largely USA or British origin I wonder?
either way I must've dumped in around 210-220mls all up (but they leak bad so its all hypothetical till the fork seals arrive and a proper strip-down for at least the 'Minton' drilling, new seals, and spacer experimentation (I'll try the inch suggested)
Tempted to go to 15w synthetic fork oil, though I do have 10w on hand.
No ones mentioned fork bushings...do they enter the equation at all.
Definitely a bit better despite the leaking seals...biggest improvement to ride was slackening off the steering head bearings that must've been done up by King Kong!

by the way my avatar is some of my 'ratbike' trophies for my previous TX650, and a Best Jap for my CB750/4 K2 bobber (shoulda kept)

Yes, this is a mostly U.S.A. based forum so we're talking 7 U.S. ounces. The 1" preload spacer is about the most you'll want to go or else you run the risk of the springs getting coil bound. Anything less is pointless really because you have the ability to add 20mm with the adjustable caps. Each step on the caps adds 10mm of preload .....

Njud69o.jpg

Many times, that's not enough, so an additional 1" (about 25mm) of preload will start you out a half step stiffer than you can normally achieve. Then you'll still have two 10mm steps after that if you want even stiffer. The stock springs are a 2-way progressive with a nice rate, they're just too darn soft. Being 30+ years old hasn't helped them either, lol.

Thanks for the input,5twins , just been reading other threads, actually did a thread search on one of my other bikes a Victory and discovered this site is very much American when I chanced on a shitfight from 2012, quite entertaining to say the least!
I did notice in the stickys that religion and politics are a strict no-no which is great!.... as the other site for the other bike is just over the top with arguments around those things.

Yes my preload adjusters were maxed out and seized till I freed em up, returned them to max once I had the caps done up.
I can see now the two coins I put in there wouldnt really make much difference but an inch spacer would.
PVC pipe you think?...I used thick wall aluminium pipe on the Victory forks but I guess the PVC is strong enough.
Ill try this cheaper way out when my seals arrive and if its not enough Ill buy the progressives.
This was really a 'runaround bike' option till my Victorys fixed, but as usual closer inspection reveals a 37 yr old bike needs lots of stuff fixing.

Back